Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this subject been brought up here yet?

What do you guys think of this thing for $220.00?

https://www.dualsaw.com/

Notice the shipping is $40. Seems excessive!:)

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Haha thats funny saw the infomercial for the hundredth time this morning and thought hmmm wonder how many contractors have actually tried this thing.....

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I've got 2 of the craftsman versions from Sears on order, they put them on sale last weekend here for $110.00 and sold out of them in every store they have.

I just want them to use to cut cast iron tubs in half in place.

I'll let you know how they do. Or maybe I won't.:shifty:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've got 2 of the craftsman versions from Sears on order, they put them on sale last weekend here for $110.00 and sold out of them in every store they have.

I just want them to use to cut cast iron tubs in half in place.

I'll let you know how they do. Or maybe I won't.:shifty:
I'll bet cutting cast iron would wipeout a blade in no time. Cast is very abrasive. Why not take a sledge hammer and break it up?

As far as the Dual Saw itself, I would just like to be able to buy the blade and try it on my Hilti hand grinder.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I'll bet cutting cast iron would wipeout a blade in no time. Cast is very abrasive. Why not take a sledge hammer and break it up?
Cause that sucks, it's loud and it risks damage in the house you are working in.

I like better ways. Show me a tool I can buy that is safer, saves me time or money or allows me to give a better customer experience and I'll buy it.

The blade life is going to be the telling issue with this saw. I'm not going to buy a new set of blades for each tub if that is how it turns out.

As far as the Dual Saw itself, I would just like to be able to buy the blade and try it on my Hilti hand grinder.
The dual saws blades I don't think are anything special. Remember - It's got 2 rotating in opposite directions, so putting one in your grinder is not going to be any different then putting any other 5" blade in it.

If you do want to try it though Sears sells the blades in a 2 pack for $40.00.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
Cause that sucks, it's loud and it risks damage in the house you are working in.

I like better ways. Show me a tool I can buy that is safer, saves me time or money or allows me to give a better customer experience and I'll buy it.

The blade life is going to be the telling issue with this saw. I'm not going to buy a new set of blades for each tub if that is how it turns out.

The dual saws blades I don't think are anything special. Remember - It's got 2 rotating in opposite directions, so putting one in your grinder is not going to be any different then putting any other 5" blade in it.

If you do want to try it though Sears sells the blades in a 2 pack for $40.00.
If Billy Mays endorses it, it must be good.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Mike, I hear what you're saying, although it's probably still going to be somewhat painful (as far as noise) and messy (chips and dust) with the Dual Saw.

According to the website it'll cut cast but you'll need the lubestick that's provided.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I got lots of lube. But that's another story.

Ever walk in and find somebody taking a sledge hammer to a terrazzo shower pan on the 2nd floor of a 100 year old house with plaster medallions ceiling below?

Sledge hammers are verbotten on my job sites.:wallbash:

·
Banned
356 Posts
Mike, I hear what you're saying, although it's probably still going to be somewhat painful (as far as noise) and messy (chips and dust) with the Dual Saw.

According to the website it'll cut cast but you'll need the lubestick that's provided.
Yeah it's like a gluestic working in reverse except it's lube.

I haven't tried a dual or twin saw but I bet I could find a lot of uses for it.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
:no: I wouldnt buy anything that guy endorsed. I'LL stick with the sears model. Had some good reviews there, even though a couple burnt their tool up.
"as seen on TV" is code for junk if you ask me.:laughing:
They have an infomercial for the fein multi. That's not junk, a little over priced, but not junk.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'd be blinded with surprise if it could do more then one cut in cast. I've found abrasive blades are pretty effective on cutting cast pipe, i still havent tried a cast sawzall blade yet though, I know lennox has a demo where they cut a skillet in half.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've never tried it but I wonder if an air chisel or chipping gun would break up a tub? I know it would be loud as all can be but there wouldn't be any damage or airborne particles to deal with.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I would consider a diamond blade in a grinder made specifically for cast iron. Google Omnivore diamond blades. World Diamond Source carries them. They sell them in sizes from 4 inches for your grinder to 16 inches. I have never used them, so I can't say how well they work, but I would try that before trying something peddled by a screaming loony on TV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts