Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying a drywall lift to make it easier to drywall a truss that sits on a 10 foot block wall with another truss sitting 2 foot away from it the ceiling is vauted does anybody know if it would work

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Don't think so. Aren't they made mostly for ceiling work?

Fire walls work best wit a couple to three guys handling the sheets.

Some of the best money I ever made was hanging fire walls with my crew.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes lifts are really for the flats of ceilings. Don't see how that would help here.

You can probably rent one for a day from your favorite yard if you wanted to try it, but I don't think it is worth it.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Drywall lifts are great for doing walls, but not all will lift the bottom of a sheet as high as 10 feet, though. Sheetrocking a 10-foot ceiling isn't the same as getting the lower edge to 10 feet on a wall.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When my company does firewalls we use a scissor lift with a make shift panel holder on the side. If the wall is big enough to justify renting one or you can add it to the price that's the way to go. And if there is a lot of penetrations having the lift to seal around them and get the Sheetrock up is a huge help for the last five feet.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
ubcguy89 said:
I have stood 14' sheets up I do commercial work, I rarely lay sheets down. Get scaffolds too
More work and more prone to cracking. No thanks

But you do commercial so the cracking thing isn't important and less likely

·
Registered
544 Posts
No way dude, a true fire wall is hung as stand ups on metal framing. You need the metal between the joints to give the 1 hr rating

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
ubcguy89 said:
No way dude, a true fire wall is hung as stand ups on metal framing. You need the metal between the joints to give the 1 hr rating

I'm a residential guy. The only place we have fire walls is with attached garages, and they want 2 layers of 5/8th on the garage side, around here, and all seams staggered.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Oh ok I'm thinking commercial, sorry yes you need the two layers with staggered seams sorry dude disregard my previous posts you didn't specify residential

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
The UL Code specified for that particular job will determine how the rock is attached to the walls & ceilings. The prints will show what UL code is specified for each area. Some jobs have as many as 3 or 4 UL codes going on depending on what the building is being used for. There is no "one" way to hang a firewall.

Dywall lifts: Most newer lifts are hinged and have clips/hooks that allow for wall hanging. I can hang walls up to 16' with my big lift, and up to 10" with my small one. The board will tilt towards the wall slightly and you will have to put a few screws/nails at the top to support the board, and then work the rest of the board after you lower the lift. It's not as fast as working with a large forklift and some help, but it is safe and workable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts