Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys helped me out about a month ago with some painting questions on my first job where I have to paint. Few days after that we went to start the job and I got the new drywall hung and a lot of areas patched in the old areas, then the owners had some type of family emergency and had to go out of town for a while so it has been held up. Starting again Monday though, so I went today to pick up some of the paint and had a few questions..

Quick recap.. Walls are all beat up and all need skimcoated. Going to first tape all the patches and new drywall, then prime all of the walls and ceiling with GARDZ(ceiling is just getting a texture left unpainted over the GARDZ). Then Skimcoat the walls and prime again before 2 coats of BM AquaVelvet.

Question is, when I picked up the GARDZ for before and after the skim coat I noticed it says it dries clear. Will this then be a good primer before the top coats? I originally wanted to use 1 primer so I didn't have to buy as many products.. But if something else will work better after the skimcoat I guess I should use it.

Granted I have no idea about this painting thing, but I thought the primer color was important. The top coat colors being painted are a blue color and a darkish green in another room. Color on the wall now is an offwhite. Although there are some areas of new drywall up.

Want to make sure I don't screw up my first job doing this.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Personally, I would prime it with Gardz before and after the skim coat, then prime with an acrylic primer tinted close to the finish color. Not necessarily for adhesion at this point, but more to get the base coat closer to the finish color without spending more $$$ on finish paint, which costs much more than primer.
1 coat tinted acrylic primer + 2 finish coats is easier/cheaper than no acrylic primer and 3+ coats for the dark/deep tones.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
1 coat tinted acrylic primer + 2 finish coats is easier/cheaper than no acrylic primer and 3+ coats for the dark/deep tones.
Deep blues and greens can easily take 3 coats over a white
Even with BM AquaVelvet
I'd have to concur with ProWallGuy's plan

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Really Bob? I called a '62 Buick Invicta wagon 'home' for a few years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ProWallGuy said:
Personally, I would prime it with Gardz before and after the skim coat, then prime with an acrylic primer tinted close to the finish color. Not necessarily for adhesion at this point, but more to get the base coat closer to the finish color without spending more $$$ on finish paint, which costs much more than primer.

Thanks for the reply.. What primer would you suggest on top of the GARDZ 2nd coat.. And is sanding required between the primers? If so what grit..

Thanks a lot

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Will said:
What primer would you suggest on top of the GARDZ 2nd coat..
I'm not sure what PWG would use, but I have been having success lately with a Pittsburg acrylic sealer, Speed Hide (contractor grade)
It's pretty inexpensive and so far has not let me down
I did use it on a job sim. to yours last year and so far so good
The last new drywall (w/lots of compound) job I did with it I was able to get 475sq out of a gal, @ 12.95 gal. on sale, minus my contractors disc.
That's 10% on sale items ...11.65?
The coverage was so good I was afraid the customer would see it and think I was done
So far I have not tinted it

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, will most likely go with the BM Acrylic fresh start since for some reason they want me to use as much BM stuff as possible. Gotta love marketing.

Now 1 area that is being repainted is super small, other than saving a coat of the finish color is the primer doing anything else? Would I get the same results just putting on a 3rd coat of the finish? I would end up spending more just for a primer tinted to that color than putting on another coat or even 2 of the topcoat since I will have plenty of extra.

My only concern is I will be putting 4 coats of paint over the fresh skimcoat, they want the smoothest finish possible. Other than using a good roller, should I use a certain nap for primers/top coats.. And can each coat be sanded between?

Thanks for the help again

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
other than saving a coat of the finish color is the primer doing anything else? Would I get the same results just putting on a 3rd coat of the finish?
Go ahead and just use the finish color if its a small area.
My only concern is I will be putting 4 coats of paint over the fresh skimcoat
You need to Gardz the skim coat before priming or painting. This will seal in the mud.
Other than using a good roller, should I use a certain nap for primers/top coats.
Use a high-quality nap, 1/2", lambswool or 50/50 lambswool/poly.
And can each coat be sanded between?
Yes, use a fine grit sanding screen, and dust off before re-coating.

Don't forget to add 15% to your bill for the consulting fees. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ProWallGuy said:
Use a high-quality nap, 1/2", lambswool or 50/50 lambswool/poly.
I thought to get a smoother finish I used a short nap roller? Like 3/16th? I was looking at I think Wooster Pro Doo-z or something like that. Said it was for smooth and the 1/2" all said semirough. Not that I doubt you, just confused on the nap and they have expressed more than once they would like it as smooth as possible..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts