Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for different finishing ideas around the base of a drywalled closet door opening. installing trim first and then putting on the closet door always leaves big gaps between the door and cutting the trim around the floor mounted bracket looks like crap what are some general ideas to overcome this issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in this particuallar application its a new house i am just finishing up and the mudder never finished to the floor and the homeowner wants closets in now even tho theres no floor installed yet either. Iam just trying to work with what i was left with

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Either trim out the opening like a door with a jamb and casing, or add a wood bumper that runs down to the floor allowing the base molding to terminate into it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We always trim around the perimeter of the door with cove mold or something similiar to cover the track and gap on the sides,if you did that you could run it to the floor and butt the base into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks or all the ideas i ended up just using flat stock on the flat and put trim all the way around. I would love to hear more ideas i really wanted to do something more creative than the same old same old.

·
Registered
35 Posts
thanks or all the ideas i ended up just using flat stock on the flat and put trim all the way around. I would love to hear more ideas i really wanted to do something more creative than the same old same old.
I like this look, I also use that door stop trim to hide the gaps. I have also seen the side trim cut lower so the header trim covers the track for bi-fold doors

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if I got what your question was. If you're looking to hide the gap between the door and the drywall, an easy cheap fix is to put 1x2 around the entire opening flush to outside wall of room, and then case this 1x2 with a quarter inch reveal as usual. The bifold door will then be recessed a bit and this tends to look nice from the interior of the room.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
For a bi fold type door, just set the door about 1/8 to 3/16 behind the corner bead. Then picture frame the door with casing lapped over the door 1/4".
It looks clean, & if the casing is glued to wall, it holds up pretty well.

For bi pass doors, I prefer the doors coped over the base, vs butting the base to the door. That way, there are no alignment problems, or small pieces of base comming off later.
Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts