Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a shop vac to keep dust down when sanding drywall mud? We use the Porter Cable "pole" sander to sand our drywall. Hooked to a vac. to keep the dust down. I've heard of the use of a "water bath" of sorts in line to help keep the filter clean. Anyone have any info on such a creature? Thanks all!

Housedr

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
We only use a standard craftsman hd vac, with a sanding attachment for screens on the end. Bought an extra 30ft hose to use with it. Unfortunately, its not good for large areas, only with repaired areas. Its basically only a hand sanding attachment, no way to attach a pole to it. The other systems I saw for exclusive drywall work were pretty pricey, $750 +++.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The water trap is from Magna Sand & Clean. A 5 gal bucket, vacume adaptors, 15' hose, and a hand sanding pad. Menards about $45.00 or www.amazon.com/toolcrib I think HD has them also. I've seen a new version somewhere that has a pole with the kit. We replaced the hand sanding pad with an electric 1/3 sheet sander that works very well. The system does work well and catches 95% of the dust before the vac filter.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Some years ago I was desperate for a replacement filter for my Craftsman shopvac. The Sears I went to was out of the standard, pleated, paper cartridge that I needed so I broke down and bought a reusable Gortex filter that was $30 or so and on the shelf. It was some of the best money I ever spent. It will not pass any fines (drywall dust, fireplace ash, etc.) in the exhaust. Every once in a while I rinse it off, let it dry and reinstall it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pipe, your mention of fireplace ash reminds me of the time when ol' #1 decided to vacuum the fireplace in the NC house. Unfortunately there were still a few embers. Any idea of what happens when you mix embers, vacuum cleaner dirt and forced air? Bye bye Electrolux!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
. Any idea of what happens when you mix embers, vacuum cleaner dirt and forced air?
Let's see...heat + fuel + air = hmmmm?
Yeah, I'm reminded of that by the 'safety director' every time I drag the shop vac into the family room. You know the routine "you're going to burn the house down one of these days!". Starts to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher after a while.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Pipe, your mention of fireplace ash reminds me of the time when ol' #1 decided to vacuum the fireplace in the NC house. Unfortunately there were still a few embers. Any idea of what happens when you mix embers, vacuum cleaner dirt and forced air? Bye bye Electrolux!

Bye bye Electrolux![/QUOTE]?...........That's exactly what I said to my second wife at the break up.

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I was looking for something just like that. I was expecting something a little more complex. Don't know how that would hold up with the riggars of daily usage. May just have to try one and let ya'll know.

housedr.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drywall Sanding

Have you taken a look at the Porter-Cable 7800 Sander, with or without Vac. I just bought one a few weeks ago and it works nice hooked to my shop vac, however the Porter-Cable vac has a double filtering system that ends up in a oversized hoover type bag for easy disposal. :Thumbs:
Note: It does not sand into the corners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are only two drywall vacs that I know of Porta cable & Loveless made for drywall you could also use a pullman vac that has a soot bag used for cleaning furnaces, I have a porta Cable and a pullman I use the porta Cable Vac just for drywall because its not very good as a regular vac, It could be used as a shop vac but tends to plug up the filter fast and if you use bags it would probaly be alright but at $25 for three bags which get distroyed when taking off it gets expensive

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Interesting topic. Our jobs are usually too small to sub patch -10 sheets. So we always keep house. We use the festie midi for many other things but does an amazing job hooked up to a $20 hokie Hyde hand held thingie we got from sherwin williams. Just searched on amazon there are a lot of dust free attachments. Recently picked up festie 36 auto clean for a tuck pointing job. It' designed for there drywall sander or any for that matter. The suction is off the charts do to it's filter design and auto clean really auto cleans the filter. The suction stays full speed all the time. I don't mind the hyde but have a fussie time getting off all of the screen marks. Any suggestions on grit or other device. Or is it just the screens and then finish off with a solid paper or block? Not looking to by another festie. Thank for the time. Our work comes out nice and clean but maybe I can save a step with something better.

This one seems to be the most compact? Dustless Technologies 50001 Turbo Drywall Sander with 7-Foot Extendable Pole

Also have the water bucket filter thing mentioned up the post.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rywall+Sander&rh=n:328182011,k:drywall+Sander

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Interesting topic. Our jobs are usually too small to sub out or too hard to find anyway. Patch -10 sheets. So we always wind up keeping it in house. We use the festie midi for many other things but does an amazing job hooked up to a $20 hokie Hyde hand held thingie we got from sherwin williams. Just searched on amazon there are a lot of dust free attachments. Recently picked up festie 36 auto clean for a tuck pointing job. It's designed for there drywall sander or anything for that matter. The suction is off the charts do to it's filter design and auto clean really auto cleans the filter. The suction stays full speed all the time. I don't mind the hyde but have a fussie time getting off the screen marks. Any suggestions on grit or other device. Or is it just the screens and then finish off with a solid paper or block? Overall our work comes out nice and clean but maybe I can save a step with something better. Not looking to by another anything pricey. Thanks for the time.

The loveless seems to be the best considering it does the corners as well.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have one of those 5 gallon bucket things, and was seriously impressed that it worked as well as it did. Its not that you "need" one (you can use your regular vac) but you will clog your filter. The 5 gallon bucket with a few inches of water does a great job of catching most of the dust before it hits your vac.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts