Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drywall Tools-technical/use/repair/options/buying/general qestions

Drywall Tools Technical Help...contractors looking for advise for there crews...and quick/simple hints to keep them running...plus those who want to convert from hand-to-auto...

Especially interested in those who use corner beads instead of corner tape...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Residential Contractor/Remodeler. The alcohol statement was a JOKE. Around here drywallers and painters tend to have a penchant for drink and like day pay in cash. You have to hire 12 to keep 3 on a job. Both businesses are well known for this, have been since I have been around and that goes back to the 50's. Dad was a GC then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Understand...

Teetorbilt said:
Residential Contractor/Remodeler. The alcohol statement was a JOKE. Around here drywallers and painters tend to have a penchant for drink and like day pay in cash. You have to hire 12 to keep 3 on a job. Both businesses are well known for this, have been since I have been around and that goes back to the 50's. Dad was a GC then.
those u hire..what tools did they train on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need feed back from drywallers on tools they like...what works good...what they want in a tool...any suggestions please email when you have time to chat...

[email protected]

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have 2 full time drywallers who are as sober as the rest of us which means most of the time. LOL They are multi-talented and can fill in for painters, framing carpenters, electrician helpers as required. When they need help, usually just a couple of 'toters' from LaborFinders fills the bill. I also have a few guys that have helped hang over the years and are adept at it, leaving the pro's to tape and finish. I had 14 guys on a recent job, the wall was 22 ft. high by 280 ft long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those 2 r the ones you depend on...others come and go...did they have experience when they were hired?... and did they cut their teeth on ames?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Teetorbilt said:
I have 2 full time drywallers who are as sober as the rest of us which means most of the time. LOL They are multi-talented and can fill in for painters, framing carpenters, electrician helpers as required. When they need help, usually just a couple of 'toters' from LaborFinders fills the bill. I also have a few guys that have helped hang over the years and are adept at it, leaving the pro's to tape and finish. I had 14 guys on a recent job, the wall was 22 ft. high by 280 ft long.
Those 2 r the ones you depend on...others come and go...did they have experience when they were hired?... and did they cut their teeth on ames?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I certainly do depend on those guys, they are indispensible. They were both experienced and one was union, laid off on disability.
You got me on ames. what it is?
All that I know is that these guys can make a wall FLAT, PLUMB and SQUARE with sharp corners and that is all that matters to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As good as you say..hangers should do that easily...I'm more on the finishing side...tapers/finishers...ames is a rental tool company for drywallers (finishers)...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts