Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience using a drywall texture hopper for stucco finish? I have a small project going with maybe 200 sq ft of new stucco. I'm not going to do the scratch and brown, but I may do the finish coat - a very sandy sponge finish - as I don't have a finisher I know can match the existing finish. I'm wondering if my cheapo red texture hopper will do the job. Maybe I'll throw in a little super-plasticizer to make the stuff thin enough to apply.

I'll probably go ahead and try it, but wondered if anyone has any advice or experience with this. If it doesn't work I'll have helpers get the stuff on the wall and I'll do the final sponge float.

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
Hi Bob, Yeah I've used a hopper to match stucco repairs and on additions many times. Everything from a sanded finish to heavy splatter knockdown texture. :thumbup:

I usually add a little Portland and bonding agent to the slurry. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Yup, done it before. Spray on, knockdown afterwards. Matched pretty good for my purposes.
The other method (if it's a smaller patch) is to use a stucco brush and flick it on. Doesn't come out as clean, though, and is a messier method (use plenty of plastic).

·
Registered
440 Posts
After troweling on a 'Sto' finish for a wall addition, it didn't quite look good where the new met the old. Using a hopper to spray the transition made it look the same. :thumbup:

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bob, can you share your results? I'm thinking of going the same route (Marshaltown Drywall hopper to apply small area of machine dash around window/door replacement).

Any guidance will be immensely helpful (i.e. mix, PSI, etc.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts