Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a carpenter by trade and have recently been working with some drywallers that use some lingo that I'm not familiar with. They say that after hanging, it takes them three coats to be ready for paint:

They say that they tape it, block it, and skim it.

I understand the tape it(talking about getting the tape on the wall), and the skim it(talking about the last coat that fills the voids), but the block it?

Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Given the order you put them in, I would venture a guess that "blocking" means sanding the first coat (maybe with a block)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I've seen some guys use a "box" to coat the tape. It is like a box full of mud with little wheels on it. They would run it over all the joints and it would lay down an even coat of mud. I think the wheels would adjust up for high joints. I believe the box was, or is part of the Ames tool system. It's been a while since i've been around these guys. RT.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Yea, that's a banjo. I guess anything's possible, but I don't think that's what they're talking about when they say "blocking". Could mean alot of things I suppose. Hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
block=2nd coat.....1st coat over the tape. :Thumbs: I call it tape bed skim

·
Registered
43 Posts
jproffer said:
Yea, that's a banjo. I guess anything's possible, but I don't think that's what they're talking about when they say "blocking". Could mean alot of things I suppose. Hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:
No thats a box. Banjo is a tape dispenser with the mud on the back side of the tape.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
:eek: ...I guess I need to read more carefully, I thought he meant the one with tape and mud all in one....thanks mudman

·
Registered
54 Posts
The terminology of "blocking" after the tape coat is basically just how Builder 1 said, but as in any aspect of construction, it may very from finisher to finisher. ''Blocking" is the same as "bedding in" which is the most common terminoloy that I have encountered. It is, what is considered, the second coat. First is the tape coat. That pretty much speeks for it's self.( taping the joints) The second coat is the "bed coat" or "blocking", meaning coating the tape, screws or nails, angles, and any corner bead. The third coat consists of reapplying mud to everything included in the second coat. But there is more to than that. Such as the butt joints (joints that run vertically between flat joints) they need a bit more TLC.
Just always keep in mind, the way drywall is finished, differs from finisher to finisher. Hope this helped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts