Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use drywall stilts for painting? Do you have any reccomendations on brand/style? I'm looking for a used pair to try out for a while. Any dos and don'ts?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I have a nice pair from Marshalltown with spring hinge for easy walking.

I'd be willing to sell them. Where are you located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
skywalkers are the best right now, I am a dwall guy that uses them in paint applications advice, dont fall on them, especially in front of anyone:laughing:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Talking about carrying a cut pot and cutting in while on stilts? Seems that would take some getting used to for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a small scaffold unit and I rent the rest if I need anything taller. The crawler might be the thing I need... save myself falling through a 2nd floor window learning to use stilts :blink:

Unless I can find some dirt cheap and practice walking around the neighborhood first! The suburbanites would love that!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I have a small scaffold unit and I rent the rest if I need anything taller. The crawler might be the thing I need... save myself falling through a 2nd floor window learning to use stilts :blink:

Unless I can find some dirt cheap and practice walking around the neighborhood first! The suburbanites would love that!

Thanks guys

Yeah that learning curve could be a killer! :laughing:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Practice with your hands on the ceiling. Walk around for a while. We take the plug out of the top of one of the legs and put a hanger in it so you don't have to rely on a person handing you your bucket. Be careful, if you even drag your feet on a loose drop cloth you will start to trip.
Baby steps.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I thought about this a couple of times. I really couldn't come up with many scenarios where the risk of carrying a bucket of paint on stilts would be off set by the marginally increased productivity.

A drywaller has to put his hand on every section of wall. A painter can use a pole or spray extension on most walls and largers sections/runs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Don't wire two pair together to get to a 15' high ceiling like one of my drywall guys did. I got picture of that somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
I would judge him, but I was just on a snow covered roof with no harness or other safety equipment the other day clearing an ice dam to stop a leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sur II by Sur Stilts is what I bought, and they paid for themselves in one job. They have support bars on both sides, therefore are very stable for moving laterally, as we do when painting. I use the larger sized Handy Paint pail for a cut in bucket. That way I can use the back of my hand through the carry strap to lean against the wall when needed. When you've got to cut in twice to cover, or many rooms the same color, stilts are the way to go, cuts time less than half. I also keep a three step Werner platform ladder as my assist.

·
A proud craftsman
118 Posts
Had a pair I used for years and they were stolen so I found another pair on Ebay...they were the 40" ones and I was just too uncomfortable on those. The lowest setting was just too high for my comfort range so I resold em' and my drywall supplier had the 18" (lowest setting) pair I bought. Mucho better!!! I walk all over the place in em'..up'n down the stairs...no problem. Bigger ain't necessarily better..'specially if you don't need to go up that high. I paid $150 bucks. It's one of those tools I can't do without. I us it for painting and spackling...hell...I've even cleaned out my gutters on em...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Stilts are illegal here, against safety regulations. I use two 7' benches made out of 2x10 top, 2x4 legs, with a hand hole cut in the top, so they are quick to reposition around the room.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I had a pair that I used (until I turned 40) for both drywall and painting. once you get the feel for them carrying around a cutin bucket or hawk is super easy. It can Vastly improve your productivity in both cutting in and masking ceilings.

Craig

1 - 20 of 32 Posts