Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a contractor do some work on my basement which required removing some drywall. When he replaced the drywall, he did not replace a whole piece but cut a patch to fill the section that was removed. The wall has now been taped and finished with joint compound, primer, and paint, but the seams look like bumps in the wall. I pointed this out to the contractor and he said this is unavoidable when sheetrock is patched. He said the only way to avoid the prominent seams is to install an entire new piece of drywall.

So now I paid a contractor to do a project and I am left with an ugly wall that I need to pay someone else to fix. Is the contractor correct that the bugling seams are unavoidable? Should he have replaced whole pieces of drywall rather than using patches?

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
What does the contract say? If he spec'd for replacing a whole sheet then he didnt do it how he said. Yes it's better to take the whole sheet out but it costs vastly more than patching. Without knowing what he charged and what was involved with the contracted work who's to say he didnt do it the way he was meant to.

·
632 Posts
Full sheet or not, you shouldn't see the seams.
I am not a drywall guy but, I have been on insurance jobs where they replaced just the bottom 2' and you couldn't see any seams.

That's just shoddy work.

On the other hand, did you take the low bidder?

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We never discussed whether the sheetrock would be patched or replaced with a whole sheet. I did not know enough to ask. The price for the whole job was $2750 and involved about 3 days full time (one day with a helper) and a few days of an hour or two each to do the taping, joint compound and painting.

I also made five 15-mile roundtrips to Home Depot so the contractor would not have to stop work and cleaned-up after him everyday, so I feel like I was very fair.

Nope, he was not the lowest bidder. His bid was about the same as two others and I also had a bid that was $1000 less from another very experienced guy. The contractor who did the work has about 20 years experience.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
NJDave said:
I had a contractor do some work on my basement which required removing some drywall. When he replaced the drywall, he did not replace a whole piece but cut a patch to fill the section that was removed. The wall has now been taped and finished with joint compound, primer, and paint, but the seams look like bumps in the wall. I pointed this out to the contractor and he said this is unavoidable when sheetrock is patched. He said the only way to avoid the prominent seams is to install an entire new piece of drywall. So now I paid a contractor to do a project and I am left with an ugly wall that I need to pay someone else to fix. Is the contractor correct that the bugling seams are unavoidable? Should he have replaced whole pieces of drywall rather than using patches? Thanks for the advice.
He's wrong. I do tons of patches without replacing the whole sheet. They have to be floated out properly, which judging by the pictures these are not. He did a sucky job.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
That's still not much to go on. That price sounds a lot for 3 days work no matter what he did. Unless if course he was installing power for a $2000 amp that was included in that price. Its hard to tell from the pics how bad the patch work is. I can't tell if its a paint seem I'm looking at because the whole wall was not painted or a bump where the tape seem was. The light angle is also enhancing the issue. In an ideal world you shouldn't be able to see the joints no matter if its patched or sheets replaced but around these parts I can see the joints without holding a light at an angle down the wall. If you paid him for a level 5 finish then you def didnt get that. You look like you got a level 3/4 at best.

Again without knowing what was in the contract who knows. What was the scope of work exactly?

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Yes Dave, sorry. We have a DIY site.

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.