Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you decide to come out from TO give me a call and we'll go for a drink. I came to Alberta 7 years ago and haven't slowed down since. Maybe you'll decide to stay.:thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry,
I didn't mean to sound negative but I just wanted you guys to be aware and be careful. I do hope it works out though and that you do make lots of $$$!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Be careful packing up and moving here. Alberta is an oil province. I have many friends on the rigs that are shutting down, and have been hearing rumors that a big change is coming in the oil industry, witch will affect construction in the future just not right away. Most of my friends had to take jobs overseas to keep working. I am not trying to be dicouraging there is alot of money to be made here, but the fly by nighters are really begining to bother me. The last 6 months instead of starting and finishing a new job, I am being sent to fix other peoples messes because they run away from there job . They start a job , get an advance and not come back, or they are afraid or don't know how to put on softline properly and it has to be taken down and redone. Winter really sucks out here because I personally have to fight for heat and rarely get my job done in a reasonable time frame to make alot of money. It seems to me that none of the trades work together to build a proper house.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
lotsa work here in Vancouver- concrete hi-rise folks begging for bodies - renovation market is booming - we figure it'll go till after 2010... but who knows, the new home sales are starting to flatten out...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
hey there fellow taper,one question.......................where do i ghn up?
Hi Dusty. Hey you"re not the carbon fibre guitar guy are you? We have two houses going up right now but not ready for board until spring.

I would get yourself some NICE business cards that look pro and just drive around to some sites and some contractor offices and drop off a card.

Crystal Printing in town here does a nice job on cards, 90$ for 250.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
muddog sorry I don't know the rates in Vancouver :( I've asked a few of they guys, but they are quite cagey... go figure? I am not a drywall guy, I'm a finishing carp - so no competition! I also findd that in my field, helpful tricks, prices etc.... big huge secret!!! oy! this is why I like this forum, folks here like to help a guy out :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
muddog sorry I don't know the rates in Vancouver :( I've asked a few of they guys, but they are quite cagey... go figure? I am not a drywall guy, I'm a finishing carp - so no competition! I also findd that in my field, helpful tricks, prices etc.... big huge secret!!! oy! this is why I like this forum, folks here like to help a guy out :)
I have to agree . it took me a couple of years of being taken advantage of until I learned the proper way to bid jobs, and make good money. As for competition ,I feel that if you are reliable and know what you are doing -you will never be without work- even when times are slow!

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
ok I finally got a drywall guy to fess up- (I helped him move a bunch of stuff :D) anyway he tells me that he gets between 35 and 65 cents a square foot for hanging drywall, and the same for the mud/taping thing.. it apparently all depends upon the job- lots of curves etc will be a higher price.
this is in Vancouver, I was able to get that price out of him yesterday (April 11)

Mac.

·
It's all about the Avatar
1,814 Posts
ok I finally got a drywall guy to fess up- (I helped him move a bunch of stuff :D) anyway he tells me that he gets between 35 and 65 cents a square foot for hanging drywall, and the same for the mud/taping thing.. it apparently all depends upon the job- lots of curves etc will be a higher price.
this is in Vancouver, I was able to get that price out of him yesterday (April 11)

Mac.
That is what is wrong with square foot pricing........either you are quoteing at 30 bucks an hour or 65 bucks an hour. Are you suppling material or is the GC putting you up at the local hotel every weekend as a bonus............at .65 do you have to sweep out the neighbors garage . What is the going square foot price for broomed finishes on the ceiling of a square foot priced cell.:clap: I think all jobs should be prices by the foot....or should I say by the feets...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Taper71...I agree

I gotta say, I have never truly hit a time when there wasn't any work. Sure things slow down than boom from time to time.....but to just flat out have no work? If you do good quality work and build a good reputation I don't care where you live, you will always have work.....you just gotta get out there and get it. Hell, I'm based here in Youngstown Ohio......this town has been financially struggling for a while......I'd never know. New construction has slowed down, but additions, basements and home remodels & renovations are booming.? Gotta go with the flow.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi.i am from toronto and i do drywall, steel stud framing, doors and door frames...i wanna find a job in alberta or somewhere around..i have been doing this job for 3 years...could you help me to find some companies for job or some contact numbers...thank you ..mahony.. [email protected]...14167316789

·
Registered
257 Posts
hi.i am from toronto and i do drywall, steel stud framing, doors and door frames...i wanna find a job in alberta or somewhere around..i have been doing this job for 3 years...could you help me to find some companies for job or some contact numbers...thank you ..mahony.. [email protected]

Lots of jobs here in Alberta if you have tools and know how. Heck even the ones that know nothing can get jobs and call themselves pro's- sad really. Finding a place to live that wont cost you what you make is the real challenge. Find that first and there is lots of work.

Google Drywall or construction contractors in Alberta and you should get plenty of #'s

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Need Work Can You Help Me?

HI EVRYONE

I'M NEW HERE I WOULD TO ASK ANYONE THAT COULD HELP ME OR LET ME KNOW IF THEY CAN GUIDE ME TO SOMEONE FOR A DRYWALL JOB DOWN IN CALGARY?I'M FROM OTTAWA ONTARIO AND I'M HEADING TO CALGARY ALBERTA NEXT WEEK . I GOT 15 YEAR'S OR MORE WORKING IN DRYWALL AND FRAMING TOO .MOST LIKELY DRYWALL IS MORE MY INTREST .I SEE MUD DOG YOU'VE BEEN IN CALGARY FOR A WHILE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY COMPANY OUT THERE YOU KNOW IS LOOKING FOR A DRYWALLER TO WORK BY THE JOB "PEICEWORK" ?THANK'S SO MUCH:thumbup:

DANNY

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been taping in calgary for about 5 years now. Rates for strictly taping no hanging, texture or sanding currently run anywhere from 25cents for commercial to 35cents for high end residential 1.50 for regular bead 2.50 for soft I supply all materials. These prices do vary somewhat but not alot. Good companies will require you to have your wcb and gst up to date as well, expectation of quality and reliability are quite high. The good news is the construction industry is booming with no real signs of slowing down. I turn down work constantly. I currently run a 3 man crew and we finish anywhere from 15-20k per week all machine R4 finish. The biggest problem I have is finding good people to hire. Hope this helps.

·
Self Leveler
526 Posts
HI EVRYONE

I'M NEW HERE I WOULD TO ASK ANYONE THAT COULD HELP ME OR LET ME KNOW IF THEY CAN GUIDE ME TO SOMEONE FOR A DRYWALL JOB DOWN IN CALGARY?I'M FROM OTTAWA ONTARIO AND I'M HEADING TO CALGARY ALBERTA NEXT WEEK . I GOT 15 YEAR'S OR MORE WORKING IN DRYWALL AND FRAMING TOO .MOST LIKELY DRYWALL IS MORE MY INTREST .I SEE MUD DOG YOU'VE BEEN IN CALGARY FOR A WHILE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY COMPANY OUT THERE YOU KNOW IS LOOKING FOR A DRYWALLER TO WORK BY THE JOB "PEICEWORK" ?THANK'S SO MUCH:thumbup:

DANNY

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.