Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at doing a job that will require installing drywall over the existing drywall to cover some gaps after straightening the basement walls. I have never installed drywall over drywall what tips or suggestions can you throw my way? Would I still want to use an adhesive? If so what kind/brand?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
First off, don't use 1/4''. 1/2'' is better. Find all your studs and mark them. Liquid Nails works fine.

You should only need to glue mostly corners where studs are buried.

Good luck

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I agree with big shoe ...Use glue where the studs are hidden .
There's really no need for glue in the field unless you know for sure that the existing drywall was well glued and still has a solid hold/bond.
Tight bond glue Is My glue of choice..OSI just ain't the same glue since they went 'green' [poor bond] imo.. Tight bond Is A good product.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gaps are where the ceiling and wall seam pulled apart and at most are 3/4" of gap. The other reason for laying over the existing is that the anchor bolts holding the plate against the block wall is flush with interior side of the SR. I don't think the current SR is glued at all so would it due any justice to glue this lay over?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would not glue the second layer, but I don't glue walls. I only glue ceilings, and only on wood framing. Did you ever think to just prefill gaps wit 20 and skim the walls? What kind of anchor bolts?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This will require a second layer of rock as the anchor bolts are flush with the interior of the Sheetrock. The cutout for the anchor plate is about 18" x 32" and the bolt head is about 2" in diameter. There are about 8-10 on two walls in 4 different rooms.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am looking at doing a job that will require installing drywall over the existing drywall to cover some gaps after straightening the basement walls. I have never installed drywall over drywall what tips or suggestions can you throw my way? Would I still want to use an adhesive? If so what kind/brand?
don't put a butt on a butt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts