Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's better quality lifts out there to be had, but I just snagged this one off Ebay and had it delivered the other day.

Put it all together, (no tools needed) from three different pieces nice and quickly and ran it through some functions. I gotta admit, the quality is decent and it performs as advertised.

Even for the limited drywall I do, this thing will pay for itself the first time I use it which will be next week when I'm lugging 5/8" 4x8 by to a 9ft ceiling by myself :thumbup:

Just thought I'd pass along what I thought was a good deal...

Let the cheapskate bashing begin :laughing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drywall-Lif...548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486431bcf4

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I have a Pentagon lift. It looks identical to that one but in Orange

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Mine's identical but yellow.

Got it from the Depot rental center for one-fiddy, used, several Years back.

Great for hanging lids.

No bashing here, unless it breaks in a week.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the version linked. Last 2 jobs. One of my biggest tool purchase mistakes.

Panel Lift is the only brand use now.

Tom
Why the hell didn't you warn us :laughing:

Seemed like it worked fine to me, what's going on?

·
Drywall Slave
9,427 Posts
On any of the lifts ...No matter what the brand . The casters are what you need to keep your eye on.

Tel pro will last you a life time . The rest are just knock offs !

·
Drywall Slave
9,427 Posts
Let the cheapskate bashing begin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drywall-Lift...item486431bcf4

That's a piece of chit mang! Your better off with a northern tool lift There red with just a slight better build ... But if you want a good long time partner that will never let you down ...I'd go yellow !!! Tel pro !

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
X2

What Blacktop said.

I bought a used tel pro and outside of a shot of WD-40 here and there, it does everything I ask it to do.

The 2 of 5 pieces are on the heavy side, but for 12' sheets of 5/8, I don't mind lugging those parts for the job.

Caster wheels don't bump extention cords well though:

...thought about outfitting it with mud bogger wheels.

image-3907181716.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have an eBay one also. Must have been lucky, it works great. I only use it a few times a year it seams but when I need to hang some sheets by myself it's been invaluable to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,814 Posts
I bought an eBay model also, when they were $100. Say what you will, it did fine all the time we hung our own rock, and did a lot of other tasks as well. Funny thing, I use two different drywall crews now, and neither one use any kind of lift even on 5/8 board 12 feet long. Ain't my back.

I have no idea whatever happened to our drywall lift.....too many sub contractors borrowed it and finally it never came home...haven't seen it in years, but if I bought another one, I would still go cheap. The only thing I remember that showed wear was the brake pad on the winch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought that same one one the op link, when I had two many hanging jobs going at once. Worked great, but the casters are too flimsy. I welded on a bracket and put real casters on it.

·
Super Moderator
9,814 Posts
I guess it sucks to see how we all are on price point, and hate customers who do the same...and we will skip American Made in a heartbeat. BilJax builds great stuff, including I believe a drywall lift....but like the little baker scaffolds, BilJax is $400+ and the import sold at various supply chains and under the Buffalo brand and Harbor Freight can be had for $150 on sale.

Hard to support the buy American model, but it is what it is.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the real test will be tomorrow when I'm actually using the lift at work as opposed to testing out at the shop.

I did run a load of equipment out to the job today which included the lift.

It dissembled rather easy and was lightweight and compact enough not to take up much room in the truck.

For me personally, the lift will see more garage dust than drywall dust so I could really care less where it's made as long as it does i's job in a fair manner.

At this point I believe it will.

And, since my lumber yard now carries the complete line of Festool, I'm gonna throw the savings into that Rotex 150 I've been eyeing up :thumbup:

·
Drywall Slave
9,427 Posts
I guess it sucks to see how we all are on price point, and hate customers who do the same...and we will skip American Made in a heartbeat. BilJax builds great stuff, including I believe a drywall lift....but like the little baker scaffolds, BilJax is $400+ and the import sold at various supply chains and under the Buffalo brand and Harbor Freight can be had for $150 on sale.

Hard to support the buy American model, but it is what it is.
When you buy Biljax You've bought something that will out live you!
You pay for It!! but In the end It's worth every penny! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I bought the TelPro over 25 years ago. I got the extra extension for higher ceilings the same time. It cost me like $500-600 back then. Worth its weight in gold at the time. Besides getting nail guns, the lift was the best tool investment ever.

Nobody had one then and it was a popular conversation piece on the job sites.

I only use it occasionally now. Most of the time somebody is borrowing it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts