Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a drywall job for a friend this week. Don't do a lot of it, and this room is a test. Once all the laths were off the timbers are not the straightest I've seen.
DSC00074__1601659427_53883.jpg

DSC00075__1601659269_33255.jpg

DSC00071__1601659021_15733.jpg

·
Registered
Remodel
26,579 Posts
The lath is what planed it out good enough for plaster. That's why sometimes people will just bust the plaster off the lath, and use 1/4 - 3/8" drywall over the path after any repairs.

Power plane, which will wreck the knives in a hurry, or use a boatload if shims.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Last one I did, new wall with metal studs, all is good. Could use 2x3 metal, you have a lot of options for tie backs to the wood to strengthen.

You might be able to scab on to the existing with metal stud. String lines.

Hi hat channel horiz, shim out.

Overall first method will work out best imo.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily a lot of people round here like old houses with wonky walls and roofs etc. They call it Rustic charm.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds a good plan. Lucky it's not a listed building, or it would be a criminal offence to put up drywall instead of putting the laths back. My daughter lives in an old listed building and she can't even take out any rotten rafters, just sister new ones next to them.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drywall shim.

Tom
Not sure if you can get it here. Could be that drywall is usually plastered here, so a good plasterer can get over any small defects.
However since the lockdown multifinish plaster has been really hard to come by, so I thought I'd have a go at tape and fill for my friend.
I worked with a New Zealand chippie a few years back and he told me he had never seen Drywall skimmed with plaster before he came here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know why did you use the wooden laths, but I think that the most right way in your case is to use metal profiles for drywall.

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
I've used metal for this type of situation on walls and ceilings. Just run some strings and level.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish every craftsman had the insight and common sense that you do! Just wish I'd discovered this at the start of building my own house and not at the finishing stage.

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
I remember that picture.

I agree. Sister some 1-5/8” studs to plain the walls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How have you been buddy?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I love to dabble once in a while in sheet rock projects, customer called about a leak in the bathroom upstairs and this is what I found!

Some 20 minute hot mud, I did a skim coat of regular compound, when I go back there next week for another project I will check it with the light! (compared to the rest of the ceiling this looks like 1 million bucks)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts