Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
its time to raise the price if you don't you will regret doing what you do for a living and endup with ***** for the rest of your working life. Everyone else are raising there prices. Don't be fooled by guys like the one posting above me. He's a fool
I agree. I know I will not do this trade for less than I am already making . The builders and a few of the drywall contractors around here are trying to drop prices by a few cents also - and it is just a game. The way It has always worked for me is that they want me to drop my price. I do and just start charging for extras that I wouldn't normally charge for and make more than previous rate. Then either I stop buisness with said contractor or they hire cut throats for 5 cents cheaper and get a hack job , maybe they even do a few good jobs first , but it doesn't last because this is way too tough of a trade to do for peanuts and usually the cut throats bail and I get asked to come back .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Drywall

I am located in philadelphia and i been charging $30 a sheet to hang and finish up to paint . Do you think thats a good quote?

·
Registered
46 Posts
its time to raise the price if you don't you will regret doing what you do for a living and endup with ***** for the rest of your working life. Everyone else are raising there prices. Don't be fooled by guys like the one posting above me. He's a fool
I'm not trying to fool anyone ,work maybe plentiful in your town ,but the rule of supply and demand does apply to all trades - if there's no demeand for your line of work and you raise your price your going to sit at home and wonder who's the fool...
Of the 10 builders I work for only 2 have built any houses in the last 10 to 12 months ,and the've only done that becuase they have cut costs across the board . In case you haven't heard there's a housing slump .

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've found that moving into the commercial sector of drywall has really paid off. I had to change. You really can't go where the work is if your'e set in stone with a wife and kids. You just ride out the storm and the work will come back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
drywall and taping bid

Here in the Minneapolis area I'm down to $22 per sheet to hang-tape-spray-sand ,including materials except sheetrock....good times...:sad:
lots of price cutting going on we're in survival mode ,not money making mode.
how much did you charge for square foot to a builder?
I live in minneapolis too

61 - 69 of 69 Posts