Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
job prices

we tapers need to charge a minimum in order to keep ourselves in dignity..
recently I was called to do a simple bathroom square and good hang job..the homeowner had the materials, and so anyway I told him three trips you know 1rst coat 2nd coat and sand then finish..about 12 boards..I can complete this in about 2 1/2 hrs..I told him 350 and he said he got a price for 150..I didnt do it..this is what we are competing against.how can some people make any $$$ at 150???.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok thank you for clearing that up. Let me ask this does the cost of gas affecting yalls pricing as well? Lord knows Im about to go up cause of it.

Here in Chicago it sure does. Diesel is at about $4.340 a gallon if I remember correctly. We have added about $0.01 per sf for fuel surcharges passed on to us from our suppliers. I know that the crane companies and such we use for stuff like truss lifts are averaging about a 3% surcharge on top of daily rates.

Between fuel and skyrocketing steel prices, it has been a lively 1st and 2nd quarter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Always walk th job with the costumer. Most of the time their just tearing the floor out from underneath you. And when there's no more floor to walk on you'll just sink.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How much would you guys charge for just finishing a basement? It includes a bathroom, a bedroom and one large living space in between the two rooms. no ceiling, getting drop tiles. It's 1200 sqft. wall area with 13 corner beads. 8' high. Quite a few butt joints though. Could really use the input
I am doing a 1100 q ft basemnt now on the side, the materials alone are 7500.00, my partner and I charged 40 n hour each. We subed the carpet and electric its gonna be about 22-25k. finished

·
Registered
82 Posts
How much would you guys charge for just finishing a basement? It includes a bathroom, a bedroom and one large living space in between the two rooms. no ceiling, getting drop tiles. It's 1200 sqft. wall area with 13 corner beads. 8' high. Quite a few butt joints though. Could really use the input
oops im sorry bud didn't realize u ment mud, we pay 10 bucks a sheet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
we tapers need to charge a minimum in order to keep ourselves in dignity..
recently I was called to do a simple bathroom square and good hang job..the homeowner had the materials, and so anyway I told him three trips you know 1rst coat 2nd coat and sand then finish..about 12 boards..I can complete this in about 2 1/2 hrs..I told him 350 and he said he got a price for 150..I didnt do it..this is what we are competing against.how can some people make any $$$ at 150???.
More power to ya if this **** keeps up were gonna end up like the landscapers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
does anyone know where a guy can get a job in edmonton piece work taping i have phoned a tone of companies and cant get a call back i cant belive how much its slowed down hear

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am living in northern canada, we are charging anywhere from $.30sqft to $.45sqft for hanging and $.55sqft to $.65sqft for tape and finish and $1.00 per foot for corner bead. the variance in the hanging and taping is for vaulted or extra high ceilings, to many butt joints (if the home owner hung with 8' cause it was eaiser for him) any off angle inside corners. and dont forget our fuel bills are getting higher, costing more to get to work. oh ya we have to eat too! lets not cut our own throats.

P.S. we are supposed to be professionals...that is worth somthing!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am doing a 1100 q ft basemnt now on the side, the materials alone are 7500.00, my partner and I charged 40 n hour each. We subed the carpet and electric its gonna be about 22-25k. finished
i useally have a flexible rate for the hanging ($.35-$.45) and finishing ($.55-$.65), $1.00 per foot for corner bead + materials costs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here in the Minneapolis area I'm down to $22 per sheet to hang-tape-spray-sand ,including materials except sheetrock....good times...:sad:
lots of price cutting going on we're in survival mode ,not money making mode.

·
Plumber / Carpenter
1,652 Posts
That makes me sick to my stomach, I can't stand that bull****t!!! You know they are banging the owner..
Thats right. They are aholes! They bang it to the HO and we as subs get screwed! Thats why I hate to frame anymore. They want to give you 3.00 SF based on the footprint! That includes all your labor, travel, hardware, but not the materials or the crane to set truss with. I cant do that even here because of the increase in electric, food and gas!

·
Registered
105 Posts
USP45 hit it right on the head-here in the lynchburg area of Va. $14-18.00 a board for hang and finish-labor only is the going rate for most hacks and foreign labor.
My company offers our builders no options other than all inclusive-meaning board, screws, mud, labor, etc.
The builders we maintain love the fact that we Quote the job by the square foot of the floor. Very easy for them to remember the # and we make adjustments as needed.
We have no upcharges other than different textures or scaffold work.
We consistantly average 39.00 per board on the 8' stuff and 43.00 on the 9' stuff.
We currently have 12 men on staff and are receiving about 3 calls a month from new builders wanting to get away from the hacks, but don't want to ride in the rolls-royce yet.
Hold your ground on your pricing. If you lower your price now and things turn around, the builder will hold you to your lower price.

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
I started this new place today hanging, and I bid 24 cents a foot for eaght foots, that normal base for me if not a tad low. The contractor let me have it because I did his last project, but he said people were callin tellin him 18 cents. I asked him who it was so I could b(tch slap them. Im so sick of it. If they didn't cut everything so low they wouldn't have a choice but to pay our price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I started this new place today hanging, and I bid 24 cents a foot for eaght foots, that normal base for me if not a tad low. The contractor let me have it because I did his last project, but he said people were callin tellin him 18 cents. I asked him who it was so I could b(tch slap them. Im so sick of it. If they didn't cut everything so low they wouldn't have a choice but to pay our price.
exactly my point! cutting our own throats

·
Registered
46 Posts
when times are like this cotractors will find someone cheaper ,even if you've done work for them for years, you either get competitive with your pricing or sit at home and try to find another line of work...

·
Happy Taper
16 Posts
its time to raise the price if you don't you will regret doing what you do for a living and endup with ***** for the rest of your working life. Everyone else are raising there prices. Don't be fooled by guys like the one posting above me. He's a fool

41 - 60 of 69 Posts