Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Drywall Cracks and Wood Burning Furnace

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Brocktologist 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions to offer?

We are having reoccurring cracks in drywall. The home builder believes the cracks are caused by humidity and temperature changes do to an unbalanced usage of an outside wood burning furnace.

#3 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions to offer?

We are having reoccurring cracks in drywall. The home builder believes the cracks are caused by humidity and temperature changes do to an unbalanced usage of an outside wood burning furnace.
Unbalanced usage? Outdoor wood burner should really make no difference...is it hot water baseboard or does it run through a hot air plenum?

I'm with Leo would like to see the cracks and where they are in the house

#4 ·
No we do not have pictures.

My understanding is that water flows to and from the wood burning furnace and returns to the inside furnace where air is forced over the water lines into the house in the form of central air.

Do you think humidity and air temperature differences would be enough to effect the framing around the headers enough to move the drywall through expansion and shrinking of the lumber? The builder said it effected the doors.

Thanks for the replies.

#5 · (Edited)
Do you think humidity and air temperature differences would be enough to effect the framing around the headers enough to move the drywall through expansion and shrinking of the lumber?
Of course it does. So does not properly drying things before proceeding or a house on poor soil conditions.

How have you dealt with cracks in your drywall before?

Why would you have cracks over the windows anyway? Did you place your seams there? And why?

#7 · (Edited)
Most cracks are in headers of doors. There were two that were not. Again we picture cut when we hang to avoid header cracks. Also, this builder uses solid headers even on ranch homes.

We fixed them with mesh tape and quick set and allowed one full day of drying before finishing to avoid shrinkage. The cracks came back two months later which would have been right at the time someone would use their furnace.

Aside from soil issues and other common causes of cracking, the one element that is different about this house is the outside wood furnace system. This is the first time I have dealt with cracks in a house with this system. The builder has washed his hands of it as the home is outside of the warranty and he has ruled it a humidity issue.

I'm tempted to fix the cracks again, cut them out, use plaster weld, quick set, mesh tape and let the home owner know that I will not fix them a third time. I know I would not like to have permanent cracks in my house.

#8 ·
If you the cracks are lightning bolt type that are real jagged and coming off the corners of the windows i would suspect a settling issue somewhere. I dont think ive ever seen framing move enough under normal circumstances to actually crack the drywall itself, its usually a bad seam placement where that happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.