Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just curious to know if anyone else out there is incorporating any forms of drywall art in their work. I've been trying to slowly seperate myself from the rest of the pact by offering a wide variety of textures and different layering methods. I've been receiving more of this type of work lately and have lots of big ideas for the upcoming months. Wondering if anyone had some trade methods or secrets of thier own...it's the fun and creative part of drywall. Check out a few of the things ive been working on.www.merrymandrywall.com

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Very interesting and creative work. I'm not so sure it's my style or preference but very nice just the same.

Not sure where you're located but I would think your uniqueness would set you apart from any competition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drywall Art

Very interesting details! I've done a lot of layering on ceilings and walls, but nothing quite like that. TrimTex accessories offer a wide range of trims and a idea catalog. Maybe your familiar with it? :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
That is some very cool work! I like it a lot.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
That is the first I have seen this style. I like this idea. Definantly some qual stuff.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's some awesome work, don't know how well it would fly around this neck of the woods, price seems to be the driving factor with the majority of customers in this area it seems. Where are you located at Sheetrock26?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks all for the kind words. Just recently going out on my own it's been difficult trying to find potential costomers but reasuring hearing all of the positive feedback. Here in midwestern Michigan i do think there is a definate potential for doing this sort of work although right now i'm doing more remodels and new construction than anything. You could train a monkey to do a crappy drywall job, but i know theres a certain creative percentage of people out there that take the utmost pride in thier work that hopefully may be inspired to try something new.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have used some of trim texs' bead and gone through thier catalogs. They're always coming out with exciting new products. I've used thier L-arch and thier bullnose L-arch beads with layered projects. It works great but drives the cost up pretty quick. The example Mike Finley posted above didn't use and beads, i just carefull trimmed the frayed paper off the edges with a razor knife and skimmed the edges a couple times with all purpose followed by a thin bead of caulk. After painting you'd be surprised how durable the edges are.

The brown/tan finish was the result of using a roller i found at home depot a few years ago. It had two seperate roller heads with a raised pattern. I usually have two seperate shades of the same color and work one area with the same amount of each color. I like the result but its a prety low quality roller and doesn't last more than a few jobs.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Wow that is the coolest thing I have ever seen it is definately cutting edge.. If I was you I would send a picture of it to This old house and let them know you could do it for them on a project there always showing cutting edge new ideals. The exsposure would have your phone ringing off the hook. :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really gorgeous work there, Sheet26. Have you considered developing some themes for kids' rooms? Wealthy, artsy-fartsy people just eat that up for their kids.

By the way, what is "stomped"?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Dam Sheetrock! thats tuff aas hell! if you don't mind I'm going to give that a try the next time I bump into a custom request.

What do you charge for art like that, outside of my craft I've never sold my art work.

Bob

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Sheet- Please try to post your image file again. It didn't come through. Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PipeGuy said:
Sheet- Please try to post your image file again. It didn't come through. Thanks
:cry: Hmmmmm can't seem to get it....drywall is easy but posting an image, now thats work!! Props to Mr Finley. I've tried making the file much smaller as well as a few other things. Whats the deal?? I knew I wasn't smarter than my computer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice work S26. I love it. :Thumbs: I do custom wall texture that look sweet, but textures on walls up north don't seem to be popular.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow

I gotta say, this is awesome work :Thumbs: . I thought I was looking at cut (carved) white marble when I glanced quickly at the picture Finley posted.

I don't think I know of any drywall or painting company that is setting themselves apart like this in my area. I am assuming you've taken drawing classes, etc. in order to be able to produce your leaves, outside scenes, etc?

And I thought drywall work was just gypsum and joint compound. I've got to get my feet wet with that. That would go over huge in NE with all the high-brows up here, buying $2m condos.

Anyway, like I said, kudos to you! :D

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I keep looking back at that phto mike posted, Sheetrock, that is truely ausome.

What about some color, very, very faint, but a little bit of color change from level to the next.

Just an idea.

I have a customer now that would color that baby like paint by numbers.

Bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey thanks guys, i've been planning to add a little color on one i'm working on now. This one is a total of up to five layers and i plan to paint it on a gray scale....different shades for different layers. Who knows maybe i'll change my mind and try to paint it realisticaly. I do have a couple of very talented local artists i've been in contact with that are willing to paint for me if the customer desires. We'll see....i'll have to figure out how to post a pic on here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts