Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good system for storing either or? Things like drywall knives, paint rollers, caulking guns, they are all too awkward to store any place organized. I usually end up throwing them in a cardboard box or bucket but it turns into a big mess fast.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use one of these..
Wouldn't all your tools just get buried in it? Then when you can't find a tool you pull all your tools out of it to see if it's on the bottom, only to realize it's not there? That's usually what I find happens whenever I use bags or boxes, it drives me nuts.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Wouldn't all your tools just get buried in it? Then when you can't find a tool you pull all your tools out of it to see if it's on the bottom, only to realize it's not there? That's usually what I find happens whenever I use bags or boxes, it drives me nuts.
Well this is just for my drywall tools. I have a utility bed with one box dedicated to just painting.

Truck 3.jpg

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have smaller rubbermaid boxes for knives, seperate for drywall only tools, another for sanding drywall equip and so on. That way I can just grab the necessary boxes from trailer on jobs to take into the house. I have a bit of OCD, ok...alot and I organize all my stuff. It makes it so much easier to find things.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have two rubbermaid roughneck tubs for each. Yeah it's kind of a mess but they arn't bad to dig through.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Milk crates man!

Powder is bagged in a vucket, knives in their own crate w/pan & sanding sponges.

Paint gear fits all in an 18" pan if done right.
Since you have painting and drywall listed as your trade, I assume you know what you're talking about. Milk crates you can see through them which I can see being handy, although I'd be worried about them getting rusted. But I'm not picturing the 18" pan, brushes, roller, mineral spirits, everything in a frying pan?

Also with the Rubbermaids, wouldn't the small items like the tips to your paint sprayer get lost?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,123 Posts
I use this. One deep tray and one shallow, top tray. Also sturdy enough and high enough for a step stool.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I keep three five gallon buckets. Masking bucket, paint prep bucket (caulk, filler, wire brush), paint applicator bucket. Doesnt matter if they get wet.

Drywall I keep a large tote full of pans, shims, taping knivez, 90 min.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
For what its worth, Basswood posted on his blog/face book about how he uses on old suit case for his painting tools. It a small one navk pack sized ... had everything neatly tuck in.

Nothing to offer on my side for painting. I keep my two brushes in a general bag. Frame, covers and such put them in a pan and toss in the truck.

DW tools milk crate, cardboard in bottom, for hanging tools, masher and rolls of tape. Riggers bag for knifes, hasp, circle cutter, 1" pipe knock out ... all the little pieces. Been using the milk crate for rocking tools since '87- Just works aka can't find anything really better

Attachments

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I use 2- 5 gallon buckets for the drywall stuff. I've been trying to use 2- milk crates for painting stuff.
This is not my main focus so i don't need alot of tools. Really just patching on drywall. Haven't done a whole room in years. We do end up painting a fair amount. I only started using the milk crates a couple months ago.
I kind of like the look of the rubbermaid storage boxes. I like things I can stack. I could also label the outside, since you can't see the inside and they would all look the same.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
A thread after mine on heart...

I am having problems in this area.

I just recently got a 50 gallon rolling tote for painting.

I've been using a 25 gal rolling tote for drywall for a long time but it just doesn't work any more. To much stuff. Knives are to big. It never wants to shut. I either need a 50 gallon or do something different. I like to grab one thing and go. Not mess around with 5 different milk crates.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
After reading this and posting, I went to Wal-mart to find the Rubbermaid Action Packer. They didn't carry them, but they were about $60 online. In the plastic storage container asile I found some clear plastic containers with lockable (snap locks) lids. I got one big one for paint stuff, and then the smaller sizes also.
They are clear so I can see what's inside. I can also see what's at the bottom, if I'm looking for something in paticular. The bigger one holds our 18" roller pan. So far everything fit inside with room to spare. We often carry our stuff in the back of trucks, so it is good they are watertight.
I have been trying the milk crates for a couple months. They weren't working out. I like this alot better.
I am afraid they will get brittle in the cold, but they were about $10 each, less for the smaller ones.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts