Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was definately a little forthought that went into it. For starters you need to adapt the deck layout exactly on a 16inch interval. (for the panels to fit in the channel.

The system makes it hard to seal the U channel that fits underneath the joist, at the ledger.

All in all not all too bad of a system. I have been thinking about corrugated steel underneath, tell me that wouldn't be perfect. I need to try that one next.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is a seamless gutter that runs the length of the beam. The standard brown matched really well with the Trex Cayenne, and Trex Espresso deckboards. I think I burned up almost 50 12foot 1 by 12 on this one.

There is a concrete step and patio going underneath that landing on both sides.

There was no yard yet, so to stop from having mud everywhere I put down about 5 bails of straw before we started. It really really helped.

I also punch my holes after its framed, to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Nice job!
Did you wrap the bottom (visible) edge of the ledger before installing the DS?
And what was your process for waterproofing the ledger connection? I've done a few DS installs and am always looking for better ways...

Mac

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the ledger I sealed the top with OSI. Then I caulked over top of my joist to ledger connection, the top of the DS channel for about the first 2 foot, around most of the hanger, and the end of the DS to the ledger. 5 tubes I think.

I didn't really like it, but it works well. I wish they had a more positive connection seal on the ends. How do you do it Mac?

After everything, I put the trim underneath the ledger and in between the channels (which was a lot of work, but it looks very finished.)

I also took the DS panels and cut them about 16 in. and installed them above the beam (inside the joist bay) and back into the gutter. I did this so that the beam doesn't collect water. I notched my 2- 2by12 beam into my 6 by 6 piers then had to box it out so that the beam appears to be solid, and I didn't want any water sitting in there. On the outside of the cantilever after the beam I simply put 1 by 12 underneath of it, gapping either side about 3-8 inch gap.

The whole deck is spaced 3/8 according to Trex it must be because it is considered a sleeper system. They said they would not have warrantied the deck if I would have done it at a 1/4. Something I never knew before.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I didn't really like it, but it works well. I wish they had a more positive connection seal on the ends. How do you do it Mac?

After everything, I put the trim underneath the ledger and in between the channels (which was a lot of work, but it looks very finished.)

The whole deck is spaced 3/8 according to Trex it must be because it is considered a sleeper system. They said they would not have warrantied the deck if I would have done it at a 1/4. Something I never knew before.
Here's a couple of shots of my current project. Normally, I run 1x3 metal (1" up behind siding, 3" out over joist/ledger connection) but HO wanted to be able to remove the deck board closest to house to sluice out tree debris (HEAVY pine tree canopy surrounding the house) so I used 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" metal.
Alum. tape on the seams for the first 12-18", silicone caulk in the corners, on top edge of DS ledger channel and around the hangers - let it set up for a day. Then came back and wrapped the connection w/ layers of flashing tape (start at the bottom and work up).

Still trying to come up w/ a way to pretty up the bottom of the exposed ledger...I like your idea of ind. pieces fitted between the joist channels. It looks nice and finished.
If I set up a jig on my chop saw, it shouldn't add that much time. Hell, they could prepaint 'em before I install, that'd be m-u-u-c-h easier than after the fact!

Regarding TREX, they've gotten very good at dodging warranty claims. I'm surprised they mentioned anything to you before the install.
Ever see a black hole in action? send an email to [email protected]
you'll never hear or see it again!! worthless company...
[you readin' this TREX lurker? You don't back me, you don't back your product, I told your reps I'd shout it from the freakin' rooftops]

Mac

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of using the DS ledger brackets on the outside joists I just cut the "combo bracket" channel under the F portion of the channel and tuck the other side up under the fascia board.

I usually use 2 by 10 joists with 1 by 12 Fascia so you never really see the channel.

I had to fill the back of the channel against the ledger with OSI quad 4 because the channel stops at the bottom of the hangers and leaves a gap.

I use Trex a lot. I like it. I haven't had any warranty issues, but I know how you feel, about companies who don't back their product failures (GAF-ELK).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stairs turned out really nice I used a 1by12 to case the stringers then cut an 1 1/2 rip out of a 1 by 12 and used that as a fillet between another 3 and 1/2 inch rip. I saw someone do it for doors with MDF and it looked really good, so I thought I'd give 'er a shot. For the exposed cut end at the bottom I cut a spindle down for a capital.

I have done it with 2by4 in the past to make up the difference.

I used 1 by 12 under the stairs with a gap to case the bottom of the stringers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts