Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AbriamBarkerCarpentry
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long will a opened bag of dry mix J.C. stay good and useable for, provided you keep the bag rolled shut at the top and stored in a garage or basement when you live one mile from the ocean?

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
why would anyone care? The stuff is cheap. Use it and toss it. Get a new bag for the next job.

·
AbriamBarkerCarpentry
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I got so much surplus in my garage that I want to use it up.

Quit overflowing the landfill dude.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Well, out of the kindness of my heart...and sheer boredom...I called WESTPAC, the manufacturer of the 20 minute I have in my shop, and their rep. told me that as long as it is kept dry, it will last pretty much forever. Yes, I seriously did call. Guy's name was Leo Dixon if you want to call him..lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Abe

I might suggest palcing it in a dry 5 or 6 gallon paint bucket with a lid. I am very cheap and therefore I NEVER throw away materials. I save quite a bit actually. Find a dry paint bucket and label it......whenever you have half bags....throw them in. Good Luck
As far as your question....I had a buddy store it for years.......was kept dry and worked like new.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I'd like to know too. The 5 gallon bucket is a good idea for storing some you want to keep on hand. I wouldn't mind keeping 20 bags of the stuff on hand but I'm worried about humidity screwing with it too. I'm in Colorado and we have really low humidity so I might be able to get away with it, but being by the ocean, wow, I would be worried too about the humidity.

I think there is some confusion to what you are asking too, I assumed you were referring to the humidity making it get clumps in it and not the stuff going bad and not sticking or something. Those compounds are worthless to me if they get any clumps in them, and that was what I thought you were referring to.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a leftover half-bag of tile mortar. I rolled the paper bag shut, put it in a plastic trash bag and used it again 2 years later. Another year and the tile is still stickin'. It's in my house so I should know.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I had a leftover half-bag of tile mortar. I rolled the paper bag shut, put it in a plastic trash bag and used it again 2 years later. Another year and the tile is still stickin'. It's in my house so I should know.
Actually, that is the way to do it too. Durabound - we use it all the time, so it neveer sits around. Spray mix (ceilings).... we bag up in a trashbag....to keep the moist air away from it.

·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
the dry mixes we use dry in 20 mins
so we can sand and paint over them sooner
The leftovers we just leave in the original bag
just roll it up tight and sit it on the second shelf in the van.

·
Registered
490 Posts
abe,
why keep it around ?
let the supplier maintain inventory.
who wants a pan of mud w lumps and chunks in it.
If anything other than 5min is going to be hanging around, it goes into the texture mix and is sprayed w the rest...
r

1 - 14 of 14 Posts