Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lay the bag flat, cut across with a knife. Pick up bag from the middle and the 2 halves will stand up. Then finish cutting the back of the bag. With 2 guys It's really a clean and efficient method.
You can be a lot neater loading the mixer when you have a 40lb 1/2 bag instead of an 80 bag. Plus having the bag completely open the mix just drops right in.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
One of my old bosses showed me the splitting the bag trick for doing 1/2 batches of mortar. I like it, it is neater and tidier than cutting open a bag and using a shovel or whatever

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
how do you split your bags in half with out making a wicked mess?

I have a very similar technique,only use a trowel. Lay bag flat on plastic,push/poke material even,stab in center with trowel point,slice both directions with blade (we all know how sharp a used trowel edge can get)stick both set of fingers at bottom of bag,lift straight up and cut again from under side.

I agree with Karl,1/2 bags are more fun.:clap:

·
GC/carpenter
44,231 Posts
CJKarl said:
Probably the last outside work we're doing for a while. Although temps will be in the 50s this weekend. Just enough to make everything a mud pit. Thesed are going in Monday.
I have the multi-Quip version of that mixer, it's great for pier footings

Product Concrete mixer Tool Machine

1 - 20 of 29 Posts