Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Head sawdust creator
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have a chance to bid on a job where they are taking down the T-Bar ceiling and want the roof trusses (30" high) and underside of roof decking painted flat black. There is about 6000 sq ft to do. I have read about this dry fall paint from Ben Moore. Sounds like the way to go as it is dry by the time it falls about 10 feet so no masking!! I have no idea what kind of coverage I should get per gallon but was told by dude at Ben store he thought about 200 sq ft per gallon.:rolleyes:

Have any of you used this paint or done this type of job? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks .... Bummie

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I havent used a dryfall but have read old threads on here about it. They are not all the same and amboent conditions are key to getting a true dryfall. I would mask if I didnt know exactly how the coating would act ie had used it before.

·
http://penncoatinc.com/
91 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
As stated, the flashing of dryfall from liquid to powder depends on the environmental conditions (humidity, airflow). As Penncoat says, it may be necessary to lay down plastic, depending on these conditions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use sherwin dryfall at least one or two days a week. Coverage on the deck may actually be about right but you burn a lot of paint getting all the details on the trusses.

I would suggest alkyd dryfall if you can use it in the space. It dries faster in my experience. Definitely roll plastic out on the floor to catch the dust and any wet spray that may occur. And make sure to put some plastic on your lift. If it doesn't dryfall before your lift and you dont mask you are looking at a pricey bill from the rental company to clean your overspray.

Blow the ceiling with compressed air to clean off anything that has come to rest on it over time. Degrease as necessary and then start shooting. I normally use a 517-520 tip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts