Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question may seem extremely simple to some but I have never dealt with it on any of my jobs so please bear with me. I have a job scheduled in the near future that is somewhat of a Georgian style house with full brick and large columns and lots of wrought iron. At the front entrance is a large masonry porch with a deck above it which is supported by the large columns and all the decorative trim that goes with the columns and on the upper deck is some iron railing with no roof. My question is how do you dry this in? The ceiling on the entrance porch needs to be finished with soffit or stucco and needs to be dry. The deck on the second floor is a real deck to be used(not just for looks with a tar and gravel flat roof).
I know Glass had a job sometime back that had a "sky deck" on it and is basically the same principle, structural framing on top of a dried in roof.

I understand that the gutter system for the upper deck will be ran inside the lower porch ceiling but dont know how to keep the lower porch dry.
The upper decking will probably be Trex or 5/4" lumber.
I have seen products the big box stores sell for underdecking but that really seems cheap and doesnt have a high-end finish look this house will demand and I dont like the ideal of rubber membrane roofing for this because the deck will be used.
Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The decks we have done in fl. we used fiberglass and then giberglassed sleepers to screw deck boards on, or mastic to install tile

1 - 3 of 3 Posts