Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job coming up for blasting 20,000 sq ft of bare concrete for a Ross that is being put in at an old sears building. they want a profile for painting. does anybody have experience in dry blasting indoors? Im worried about how much dust this will cause, how much media I will use & how much clean up will be involved.... I am planning on using 80 grit Garnet, I ordered 4 super sacks. and my set up is a sullair 375HAF with a 600 lb pot.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
No matter what media that you use it's going to get very dusty due to your blasting concrete. Plan on some type of ventilation to extract as much as you can. That or do it wet, then your gonna deal with a mess.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I just got done blasting a concrete building inside, over 60,000 sqft with a hard media. The dust is going to be really bad, not from the media but the concrete
Even worse is crushed glass on concrete
Oh ya I tried that lol

Is there anywhere you can get a dust collector

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much dust ? A LOT
Clean up ? sweep it, and vacuum for the tricky spots, if you cover the floor with plastic it will help a lot with the sweeping process.

dust elimination depends on the location of the project, if there is no problem with that, just get all the extractors you can, and lights, you just can't have enough lights when blasting indoors !

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
AmCraft Manufacturing
31 Posts
Yikes, you will probably need to cover up the walls you want to protect and areas you want to seal off with vinyl dividers, depending on the amount of abrasion you expect in the area. I would suggest 18-22oz material, if not higher.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
I blasted the inside of a home that was gutted and had been built with concrete blocks someone had covered over the joints with mortar for some reason I guess they thought the inside would get stucco. He wanted me to blast all that mortar off and profile the concrete blocks. It was summer 109-112 degrees out just about killed me used heavy glass super dusty I ended up bringing in big fans to flush the dust out so I could see it got so dark in there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the job ended up falling through at the last min. the guy in charge did not scheduled properly and they got to far ahead for me to come in and blast, said they were going to use some kind of floor grinder ??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts