Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trade is decks and out buildings. I am designing my shop, and ran across information about drop gables so the outriggers could stand on the strong edge, plus more nailing surface. I have always just notched the gable truss and laid the outriggers on their sides. Do any of you use drop gables? Any real advantage?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,233 Posts
I love them and use them whenever I can

unfortunately, my main truss supplier won’t build them, they just do a double top chord.

·
Super Moderator
24,075 Posts
No real advantage to the dropped gable except if you are going with very deep overhangs.

It does work really well in snow country with deep ovrrhangs.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,233 Posts
Isn’t he talking about the “EZ Gable” or dropped gable, so you don’t have to notch for outriggers?

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
880 Posts
My truss company only supplies a 3½" drop gable, or a zero drop for pole barns. Like griz said it's because we have a higher snow load and average around a 2' projection. The zero drop is because we strap pole barns for metal roof, and generally only have a 12" projection. I like the drop, I definitely find it stronger to frame my fascia ladder that way.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,233 Posts
My truss company only supplies a 3½" drop gable, or a zero drop for pole barns. Like griz said it's because we have a higher snow load and average around a 2' projection. The zero drop is because we strap pole barns for metal roof, and generally only have a 12" projection. I like the drop, I definitely find it stronger to frame my fascia ladder that way.

Now I’m really confused. 😬

What’s the snow load have to do with a dropped gable vs notching the gable truss?

·
Super Moderator
24,075 Posts
Dropped truss outriggers are on edge.

Notch truss they are on the flat...

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,233 Posts
Dropped truss outriggers are on edge.

Notch truss they are on the flat...
Learn something new every day. 👍

Only dropped gable trusses I’ve used were 1 1/2. Never used the 3 1/2 drop.

·
Design Build
Fmr Framer now Home Designer
5,317 Posts
TN would do 3 1/2 drop and were pretty tough on people notching top cords.........that may have changed since 2000s

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,391 Posts
If I am doing anything wider the 12 " I do a drop gable. And actually like the gable ends up rights 16" instead of 24".

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
880 Posts
Ive always added a 1x4 against the truss for my ladders. Then they can be framed on the ground and go up as one selection.
These went up as one, just free hanging the lookouts though and passed up and through by hand. I cross nailed them well so they wouldn't pull out. The 1x4 trick sounds like it would work sweet too, I should start stock piling more on site.

My other carpenter that was working in the garage didn't want to try this method, took him and the apprentice more than twice as long as me prefabbing alone.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,391 Posts
A lot of guys here build the gable ends on the ground the lift it in place when rest of trusses are set.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
880 Posts
A lot of guys here build the gable ends on the ground the lift it in place when rest of trusses are set.
Next time my trusses come before the crane I am going to do that. Our crane brings our trusses and we sling packages up quick as we can on smaller houses, shake them out without the crane. Not usually time for building the gable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts