Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the weather is nice I drive the old Hog to bids every chance I get. I don't think I have scared anybody off yet. My leathers are clean. I know that we have to have some other hog owners in this bunch.

Have you bid on your bike? What have the customers reaction been?

My dream is to go bid a job for a little old lady and find a old bike that she wants to get rid of buried in the back of the garage.

Mark

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
When the weather is nice I drive the old Hog to bids every chance I get. I don't think I have scared anybody off yet. My leathers are clean. I know that we have to have some other hog owners in this bunch.

Have you bid on your bike? What have the customers reaction been?

My dream is to go bid a job for a little old lady and find a old bike that she wants to get rid of buried in the back of the garage.

Mark

Most Educated Consumers today see a Harley Davidson (Hog) as a Rich Mans toy. Maybe a bit Frivolous and therefore ridden by someone who makes A LOT OF MONEY.

Not always a good Image to Project!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Do you have any sexist stickers on your helmit?
Do you wear the "If you can read this the ***** fell off" shirt.
Just kidding, but unfortunately stereotypes do exist.
All that aside it may look a bit un professional to ride any style of motorcycle to bid a job.
Unless it is a impromptu bid on the weekend or a day off and the customer understands you dropped whatever it was you were doing to stop by.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I think if your customer is a fellow Harley rider you have instant rapport established which is a good thing, but other than for that customer, most of us will benefit from a professional appearance from our competition - IE - a clean, lettered work vehicle.

Is your bike lettered? :w00t:

·
General Contractor
8,192 Posts
If you don't get it on the Harley, you can return on the bicycle and say Tree Fitty. maybe they will change theirs mind.:thumbsup:

I think if your customer is a fellow Harley rider you have instant rapport established which is a good thing, but other than for that customer, most of us will benefit from a professional appearance from our competition - IE - a clean, lettered work vehicle.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I have rode mine a few times on the second meeting. Never on the first though. First impressions are lasting. Who knows what people think or what sterotypes they believe in.
By the way, you don't drive a motorcycle, you ride a motorcycle.
And if you ride through
residential neighborhoods with
straight pipes, you drive the
residents to hate you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
San Francisco Parade??... no, they're not pride on gay ride days anymore ... they're simply protesting Arnold Da Exterminators.... for terminate their expired unemployed benefits for so long... :blink::thumbsup::whistling..

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
San Francisco Parade??... no, they're not pride on gay ride days anymore ... they're simply protesting Arnold Da Exterminators.... for terminate their expired unemployed benefits for so long... :blink::thumbsup::whistling..

Nah! This is what they do for "Riding" in Frisco nowadays!!!

Why is it that all the Ugly and outta shape ones do this???

WARNING this is FRISCO!!! Your eyes and what is between your ears may NEVER be the same!!

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/MalcoNewYork/Frisco%20Freaks/

Just received this in an E Mail from the "Dean of Foreign Relations and Exchange" of a relatively Major U.S. University!!!

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts

I agree with this post. :thumbup:

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I agree with this post. :thumbup:
As do I.

Image is important. Real important.

I would guess that you would turn off more people by arriving on a bike than you would impress, but there are also people that hire contractors who drive jalopy trucks and thrive on working with unpolished contractors thinking they are getting some "deal".

·
Banned
917 Posts
As do I.

Image is important. Real important.

I would guess that you would turn off more people by arriving on a bike than you would impress, but there are also people that hire contractors who drive jalopy trucks and thrive on working with unpolished contractors thinking they are getting some "deal".
If you're a GC and dont get your hands dirty maybe this polished image thing is all that. But in my years at it much of the time the best of the best at their trades drove jalopy's, dressed like **** and made killer money, no need to impress anybody, they lived off of reputation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Watch the Grooming

If you're a GC and dont get your hands dirty maybe this polished image thing is all that. But in my years at it much of the time the best of the best at their trades drove jalopy's, dressed like **** and made killer money, no need to impress anybody, they lived off of reputation.
Yeah, basic sales training tells you to keep your personal grooming at the highest level, but I think that misses something. You tend to trust a mechanic who has real callouses and a little grease on his hands. If your manicure is fresher than the housewife you're talking to, you've probably taken the grooming thing too far.

The whole point is that you want to look like the thing you're saying you are. The Harley will tell fellow Harley riders that you're a regular guy, but that's a small number of customers. Most people want to see a "contractor" pull up, and to them, that's a guy with a truck.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
See, I DO get my hands dirty, but I realize that taking a shower, looking neat, and looking professional is part of making a good impression. Again, my typical client is looking for my style of contractor, so that's what I provide.

I'm not a slob nor do I want to be in company of them. Most people have similar thinking.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.