Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 7 months ago I blew the drive coupling on my IR 260
Today, once again I'm pulling apart the compressor to change it out only after 430 hours

Thought I'd pass this along
They tell me it's the cold weather starting
There solution to it not happening again I'd
When starting the compressor, open the air outlet wide open to not let any air build up in the screws then when the compressor starts, slowly close it up to build air

Low RPM's is a killer for the couplings

For the new guys starting out
Ya better learn to do some diesel work if you want to keep the money in your pocket

IR dealer wanted 3000 to replace a $370 part
Don't think so

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
When starting the compressor, open the air outlet wide open to not let any air build up in the screws then when the compressor starts, slowly close it up to build air

Low RPM's is a killer for the couplings
Can't believe another one blew on you, thanks for the advice above. I'm going to change how I start-up my compressors to follow your advice cold or warm out.

As a matter of fact, it may be a good idea to to plum in a new ball valve that dumps air to the atmosphere near the compressors control panel. You can put an air muffler on it if its too loud.

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ya sucks to be doing this again, on the plus side Instead of 10 hours to figure out how to Strip the unit to get it done, I was only 3 hours Ha ha

Just trying to look at the bright side of Getting to do it again

Hey anyone, I'll rent my skills out to work on your Unit only if you live in a climate that the temp is above 50 Deg and all expense is paid including flight Lol

I do have a "T" were the air comes out of the unit Both has ball valves, one is plumbed in for blasting the other is set up with a Chicago fitting for whatever I need..... Just never knew to open it when starting ;(

I was going through air/ oil filters because they told me when starting I was letting out to much air to fast ...... Ah now I need to let out air .... I think the guys are grabbing at anything

I think In theory it makes sense to have it start with no load due to the cold air, but on the other side It makes sense not to let the cold heavy compressor oil build up to fast in the filter before it get hot ?????

Ya I'm drinking tonight

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The IR's used to start without building air function. Then after warm up, push button to build air.

On the older units like the old IR's from the 70's and the old Leroi's we would start them with a ball valve fully open. Then after starting and allowing the engine warm up after running wide open for a few minutes we'd slowly close off the air valve.

I've ran IR compressors with over 8,000 hours on them and never had coupling issues. They just don't make them like they used to. I remember working on them a lot though myself. Don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The coupling went on my 260 Ingersoll rand last year. The part is obviously a known problem because the new one was a modified replacement.

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this is for the guys that want to do their own stuff

The part on the floor is drive coupling
And you can see how the middle twisted out

The picture of the unit, you can see how I split it
With out having to take or drain any oil

It's a *****, but saves time

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts

That's interesting. I was just told when shutting down the compressor I should crack a ball valve to let air out as I shut down the compressor. Reason being it's still trying to compress air as it winds down and that's hard on the coupler. With the ball valve open there is no load on the coupler. Seems to make sense it could do the same on either start up or shutdown.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Jim, I also know why P Anderson drank...lol
At least you have the skills to fix your own unit. Think how hard it would be to just drive over and drop it off somewhere and wait for them to finish and hand you an invoice?...I do all of my own mechanical work as well...there are great amounts of benefits to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always leave air valve open when starting exp in cold weather. Easier on battery and starter also. But i was told never manually blead air off after shut down. Just let it blead down by it self. Something about oil bleading out. Dont remember

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Sullair will not build air when first started, you have to push a button before it will build pressure. Do not all compressors do this I just assumed they did. I would always start it and let it warm up a little before building pressure, is that right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
that's right jim, but in cold weather you will have to crank it more and if it is very cold the engine wont start inmediatly, the screws will always build up a little pressure (even when it's not in RUN mode)when its very cold you open a valve so you can relief a little pressure so that the engine will run with less effort (screws are building low-to none pressure)
as said above, this is good because you don't stress the battery, starter and coupling.

downside is that the screw bearings need pressure to lubricate properly, so by doing this you are exposing them to a little more wear. this method is only good when your engine is a bit worn out (not much compression) or when it is very cold weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts