Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to draw the drip edge profile by using the follow me tool but i am running into a problem.

If you open my drawing you will see the drip edge along the fascia, when i use the follow me tool and try to run the drip edge up the gables it doesnt work out. I suspect it is the fact the fascia drip edge is on a pitch and the gable is not.

Can this be done with the follow me tool ? Is the there a better way to accomplish the drawing of this drip edge?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
A few work arounds to explore. I don't do much in sketchup, but I do know 3D. I stay at the Holiday Inn Express frequently :laughing:

The follow (extrusion) is based on the plane the edges of the profile are drawn in.

1)If you can change the coordinate system so it matches the roof plane, draw your drip profile and follow it will match the roof.

2)Take a normal drip edge you can create and rotate it to match the roof.

3) Google / search the skectchup forums on the web.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input

1. I am not sure i can change cords, i do not know SU that well. I was hoping for someone with exp in SU to show me the way of my error.

2. I tried this, i am not happy with the outcome, looks mickey mouse to me. I wanted a cleaner finished look than what i got doing seprate gable peices...they just didnt look good.

3. They wanted me to register to post...still an option but i spent today looking at Chief Arc and i think its more what i am looking for.

Keep in mind i do this for fun mostly, but i do use it for work on occasion if i have to submit a detailed drawing. I enjoy it, it puts me in my happy place. Just not sure about the $ for CA.

·
Registered
162 Posts
No, the follow me tool will not work. Even if it could pull the profile up the gable it would still be wrong as the eave drip edge profile is bent on the roof pitch and the gable end drip edge profile is bent 90º.

On stuff like this I will make the piece seperate and then move it onto the model.

I start by making the profiles I will use.

Rotate the profile how it will be placed, use the tape on the model to figure the necessary length, then push / pull to extrude the profile.

In order to get the plumb cut on the top of the drip edge I created a 5" x 5" rectangle, moved it into position, and used the intersect with selection to create all of the necessary plumb lines.

Used the eraser to erase all unnecessary geometry and made the piece a group.

Last but not least, moved it into position and gave her a little color.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks RCC, i was thinking there was a way to use the follow me tool that i was missing. I have done as you mentioned, i just thought there was a trick using the follow me tool i was missing.

Wonder how these types of transitions are drawn in ChiefArc.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Transitions of these types in Chief? No.

No one I know of using Chief, and I am on their forum regularly, would dream of using the software to model dripedge with the detail and precision you seek.

It would just be done with 2D CAD details. The 3D model would not have any.

I use Chief and I use Sketchup. Not sure I would even go to this degree of precision in SU, although I have done some sheet metal work in it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Transitions of these types in Chief? No.

No one I know of using Chief, and I am on their forum regularly, would dream of using the software to model dripedge with the detail and precision you seek.

It would just be done with 2D CAD details. The 3D model would not have any.

I use Chief and I use Sketchup. Not sure I would even go to this degree of precision in SU, although I have done some sheet metal work in it.
In an effort to become more proficient using SU, I have tasked myself with drawing my current home with as much detail I can. This may seem overkill on detail but this is helping me to learn what I can and can’t do with SU.

If I need to submit a detail for work (which seems to be happening more often), I want it to look professional. SU is a far cry better than Visio …what I was using.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A great way to learn, for sure, modeling your own house in all its detailed glory. Have fun with it, and show us the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts