Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a roof on a house I'm building with my father. When we put down the drip edge it looked straight and seemed to be laying well. Fast forward a year and were siding the gable ends. Now I have noticeable waves in the drip edge and I'm not sure how it happened because I damn sure know it didn't look like that when we first installed it or else I would have replaced the wavy pieces before shingling. Has anyone had this problem before and if so is there any way of correcting it besides tearing out everything and re shingling. Any advice from a seasoned vet would be much appreciated

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
My best guess is that it did look that bad last year but you where on the roof side so it was much less obvious. Get back on the roof and peak your head over. I bet the state of the drip edge will be as it was last time you looked at it from up there. Besides that, the top unseen part of the drip egde can look great and the side can be all over the place.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
the ''fly'' or gable rafter will move during the season

a) there is no way to fix it
b) it will probably happen again

you could try using shorter pieces of drip which would allow for more movement

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Drip is the one place I like staples used alot of them......perpendicular and only 1 tang thru it....allows for the expansion and no nail head to distort.

·
Been around
1,162 Posts
I don't recall ever having an issue with drip or rake unless the surface was not flat or straight.

Pulling nails and replacing rake edge doesn't require pulling off shingles.

How about snapping a picture of this situation?

·
Registered
840 Posts
the ''fly'' or gable rafter will move during the season

a) there is no way to fix it
b) it will probably happen again

you could try using shorter pieces of drip which would allow for more movement
And you best notch your drip then or it will look like crap. I always notch drip or any metal. I never butt mine it looks more professional.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Tom Struble said:
thinking about it a heavier guage would also help

This right here..... A few years ago we did a roof out of town. Ran short on a few sticks. So I ran to hd for enough to do the dormers ( to keep the slightly different profiles away from each other)

That was the worst crap I've ever used. I usually tap it into place with the top of my gun lightly. The first one completely bent.

But on top of that. I see drip over nailed almost always. I put 4 nails in a 10' stick. Non of this every foot I see all the times, and keep your shingle nails out of it. Just let it float

·
Registered
5 Posts
IS the drip Edge Aluminum? WHat Gauge? Have you noticed a changed in the buckling with temp changes? Could be nailing? Is it face nailed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
This right here..... A few years ago we did a roof out of town. Ran short on a few sticks. So I ran to hd for enough to do the dormers ( to keep the slightly different profiles away from each other)

That was the worst crap I've ever used. I usually tap it into place with the top of my gun lightly. The first one completely bent.

But on top of that. I see drip over nailed almost always. I put 4 nails in a 10' stick. Non of this every foot I see all the times, and keep your shingle nails out of it. Just let it float
Code requires drip edge to be nailed with a max spacing of 12 inches

1 - 20 of 36 Posts