Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

i know that, with drip edge, you're supposed to run the underlayment over it at the eave edges. i've also heard that you're supposed to run the drip edge OVER the underlayment at the rake edges.

can you tell me why this is done (the second part, i mean)?

also -- is every 1'0 sufficient nailing for drip edges?

thanks!

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I do it that way so that if water gets under the shingles on the rakes (which it shouldn't, but IF it does) it will still be on top of the felt (which, granted, is only slightly better than under it, but better none-the-less)

Every foot is fine for drip nailing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I thought this was a contractor forum.
You sound like a DIY to me. Why dont you hire a professional roofer instead of asking contractors to give away their time and knowledge to you.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
which, at worst, only means that maybe he should post here, instead of here. But since he IS here, why not just go ahead and let it slide, answer the question and move on with our lives? :cheesygri

·
Registered
52 Posts
Red, If you are worried about passing on some knowledge about installing drip edge; you're in trouble. Get to the local union hall and get on the list.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I like putting the drip edge over the felt on the rakes so it helps to keep the felt from blowing off. Another reason is it's hard to tack the felt onto the drip edge.

If you placed a nail ever 3-4ft you should be fine since you should have one nail every 5-6 inches on the rakes after shingling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts