Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does Drinking On The Job Help Productivity

According to some experts allowing employees to drink at work increases work place productivity and morale. Would you allow your employees to drink on the job if it really increased productivity and morale.

Though I'd hate to see what would happen if one day a drunken carpenter was standing on a high steep pitched roof...yikes!

Can Drinking Beer at Work Boost Your Productivity and Morale?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Bys3-ZLSw

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Although we have found beer cans in crawl spaces before. I guess the insulation guys might need that morale boost...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Some cold ones in the cooler for IMMEDIATELY after work, sure, but during work, bad news.

·
Punching above his weight
10,901 Posts
Depends on the job. Carpentry, good god no.

If I'm in my own shop priming a bunch of boards on a weekend, there's a solid chance I'm drinking while I'm doing it. I would never crack a beer in somebody elses house though. That's unthinkable to me and I've been floored every time I saw someone do it.

Back when I worked with computers though, I was generally the only person that wasn't stoned. Some of the IT guys would be barefoot with bong in hand and outproduce anyone. California was something else man.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What about when a customer offers you a beer?
You take it and say thank you.

I have clients feeding me booze on a regular basis. Often in the summer I'll show up on a job on Friday, dump a case of beer into a pot light vapour boot and throw a few bags of ice on it and share with everyone on site.

I don't condone getting drunk on the job but nothing wrong with a beer or two.

·
Punching above his weight
10,901 Posts
I've never taken the customer beer, even when I really wanted it.

It's always the late afternoon beer after I've been working hard/skipped lunch that gets me more buzzed than I think it will. Figure that's how I'll ultimately Skilsaw my thigh or something.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
At one time, the breweries offer free beer to employes for moral and a hope that they would make better beer. Some just ct down to offering a limited amout aafter word where guided tours had the same privileges. Since the advent of the automation, they do not offer it since it raises cane with guts of the machinery.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Only at the computer doing design work.

Minor injuries or mistakes are common on job sites. But if alcohol can be blamed you have a serious reputation risk.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I was comparing the old breweries with the modern ones.

There are very few employees in the current plants/factories that now get beer. The ones that do get it are paid to taste and change the machines and processes. Giving limited beer to employees after work is a fringe benefit, but the "dents" are always gone quickly since offering a dented can is bad advertising, just as a can tossed into the cores of a block wall is.

Even in Russia, vodka is not allowed in factories since it was discovered that it is not compatible with the production "quotas". There, the brick are often hand set in a horizontal form before the ties are set and concrete is poured for the precast panel. - It is still a different world.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Working for Familey or on me own stuff I have a few beers whilst working. Never at a customers house though unless its a end of the day bottle. It def helps increase production to a certain point. then once that point is hit production decreases fast. A few guys I used to work on site with would be out their heads on 2 bottles! Some would drink all day and you couldn't even tell they were drunk.

The only way I can get motivated to price jobs and do paper work is have a few beers and crank some tunes up. Without the beer I would have no jobs lol

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That much is true for sure.

I absolutely cannot do paperwork without beer and music.

The real production killer is Chinese food for lunch. Nothing is getting done after General Tso lays waste to your crew.
So true, a big meal is the kiss of death to productivity.

Reactions: Jaws

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I think I'll have a beer. But I'll wait another 5 hours though.

Of course in my case, I don't work with power tools so having a beer isn't any different than the guys who enjoy one with music while doing paperwork.

The timing of this thread is quite something since my wife and I are going out to celebrate our 28th anniversary later and we're going to a local micro brewery. Grand Rapids, MI where I live was recently named Beer City USA. Did I mention this is a great place to live?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I think I'll have a beer. But I'll wait another 5 hours though.

Of course in my case, I don't work with power tools so having a beer isn't any different than the guys who enjoy one with music while doing paperwork.

The timing of this thread is quite something since my wife and I are going out to celebrate our 28th anniversary later and we're going to a local micro brewery. Grand Rapids, MI where I live was recently named Beer City USA. Did I mention this is a great place to live?
28 years - congratulations!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts