Was harder than usual,

What’s your method ?
bit type and brand ?
hammer drill or not.
bit cooling method.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Wet sponge and a diamond core bit. No hammer drill. I usually use a cordless unless I have an unusually hard tile.

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Depends on the tile and hardness. Don't use a hammer drill. I just installed some grab bars last week in ceramic bath tiles, and they drilled easily dry with a Bosch glass tile bit. I was drilling some porcelain tile a while ago that was so hard, it took a couple diamond core bits and plenty of water. If you keep the bit cool, it stays sharp longer and works better, obviously.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Simple way to keep the bit wet---drill through a sponge--soak the sponge--press it when you need water on the bit.

Buy the bits from Hong Kong (E-Bay) about a dollar each---

Don't tell any one--but I have drilled hundreds of holes through porcelain tile with a small hammer drill and a Bosch masonry bit----must have been lucky --never cracked a tile---

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
For small holes I like the glass bits with water as well, just depends how well the tile is set and how hard you press. Set some deep sink legs into hard porcelain, the more experience you get the riskier you will be, glass bits are slow, carbides are fast. Have drilled hundreds through 1-1/4" granite and marble on the sides for anchors about 2" deep. One or two blew out the front, gotta keep straight. Just like a bullet the back will blow out when drilling through front with hammer and pressure .

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
CRL used to sell some killer masonry bits that chewed though porcelain like it was butter. You could feel it grinding it away. Of course they stopped selling them.

Now I use the Bosch masonry bits and water. Diamond core bits work well also, but I like to start with a masonry bit to get the hole going. I have had mixed results with the drill guides.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
CRL used to sell some killer masonry bits that chewed though porcelain like it was butter. You could feel it grinding it away. Of course they stopped selling them.

Today I went to my favorite suppliers looking for 7 ply 3/8 plywood. Nobody had it. Everyone switched to new suppliers or could order it. Of course, I needed it yesterday.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I go through some serious scrutinizing of tools prior to purchase, durability, practical, profit increasing, better quality job.
If the new way doesn't significantly improve the old fashion way, I'm sticking old fashion till the next generation of improvement , still not convinced I'll wait longer. Some may benefit from that contraption, some it is a step back.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I go through some serious scrutinizing of tools prior to purchase, durability, practical, profit increasing, better quality job.
If the new way doesn't significantly improve the old fashion way, I'm sticking old fashion till the next generation of improvement , still not convinced I'll wait longer. Some may benefit from that contraption, some it is a step back.
I doubt I will buy it... It'd be nice, yes. But I don't lay tile every day. I probably need a core bit about 10 times a year. So... no, I won't buy it.

That being said, if Angus uses it and likes it, I would buy it. I'd just rather put my money else where.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
It is an option , the Flex brand with water attachment will do all that, though the drill and tank are self contained where one would need that aspect, limited water and power without reloads.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
It is an option , the Flex brand with water attachment will do all that, though the drill and tank are self contained where one would need that aspect, limited water and power without reloads.
I had never heard of any of that sort of thing. Just a core bit and keep it wet somehow. Up to date the most holes I've ever drill at one job were two. So... yeah, no fancy system in my future I don't think. :no:

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Bits that are designed to be used wet quickly dull when they aren't wet. Other methods I've tried worked, they just result in less life on the bits than advertised because I wasn't keeping them well all the time.

I bought this mostly because of the variety in bit sizes that came with the kit. Since I was spending the money on all the bits, I dropped a few extra shillings to get the handle. It's more of an investment in keep the bits lasting more than anything. It does work as advertised. Budget friendly too.

It's a bonus with the other attachments. Would I use this as a full time bullnose tool? Hell, no. But in a pinch, I now have it.

If I were to really invest in core bits, I would only consider the Armeg PTC set. But talk about big $$$$ :blink:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I noticed that was a vast selection of core bits. I believe if you own the bit, the more water you'll use. I would like to delve into all the diamond science , would pay for itself in a year. Found courses online, abrasives training grinding wheel materials 210, by a company called TOOLINGU, just don't think I have the discipline or time, monthly fee is unappealing as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts