Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't normally do projects like this but I have found over the years that the small things lead to big things.

I had a customer call and ask if I would install some parking bollards to protect the propane tank outside of her new coffee shop. I would need to drill 8 3/4" holes into the asphalt parking lot to install these bollards?

Can I drill into asphalt using a regular masonry bit and hammer drill? I truly have no idea if this will work or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What size bollards?

We usually cut a square hole in the asphalt, big enough to clear the auger, and finish with concrete.
He needs to drill 8x3/4" holes total.

He needs two bollards.

I'm guessing they are surface mount and use 4x3/4" fasteners of some type.

Just a guess.

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
3/4" ain't a bollard....

I read it as 8 3/4" holes....or whatever....

Why bother drilling those, just drive them...

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
3/4" ain't a bollard....

I read it as 8 3/4" holes....or whatever....

Why bother drilling those, just drive them...
I have re-read the post several times and I thought the samething, 8 3/4" holes. But then confused because how would you hammer drill that big of a bit?

If it is to protect the tank, I would think just as tgeb said, they should be buried to give them structure. No way would a mounting plate work on asphalt, IMO.

I have cut asphalt with my quickie saw, that was a mess, plugged up the blade a bit but did ok.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
As said above, bollards need to be sunk into the ground, not surface mounted on asphalt.

If you don't have a saw, it's easy to drill a few holes as aids for chiseling away the asphalt so you can auger or hand-dig to the appropriate depth. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't normally do projects like this but I have found over the years that the small things lead to big things.

I had a customer call and ask if I would install some parking bollards to protect the propane tank outside of her new coffee shop. I would need to drill 8 3/4" holes into the asphalt parking lot to install these bollards?

Can I drill into asphalt using a regular masonry bit and hammer drill? I truly have no idea if this will work or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I would think you could core drill what ever diameter hole you need. Seat bollards down through asphalt drive them down. Then drive a #6 or 2 #6 rebars as deep as you can fill with concrete and finish the tops round. Not sure if I missed something. But seems like if their 8 3/4" diameter like most I've seen and filled with concrete they'd be pretty stable ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have two bollards to install. They are 4 1/2" diameter and 36" tall steel post with a 10"x10" mounting base with 4 3/4" holes in each base. I know that a surface mounted option into asphalt is not nearly as strong as a surface mounted post into concrete. Obviously setting a post 24" into the asphalt is a much stronger and better situation. However the customer is nearing the end of her cash budget and is looking to do thing for as little as possible. I told her the surface mounting option isn't as strong and would need to be cleared first. The propane company approved the surface mounted bollards. Drilling 8 holes should be faster then cutting and busting through the asphalt and then digging out so that is the option she went with.

Thanks for all the input

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
I have two bollards to install. They are 4 1/2" diameter and 36" tall steel post with a 10"x10" mounting base with 4 3/4" holes in each base. I know that a surface mounted option into asphalt is not nearly as strong as a surface mounted post into concrete. Obviously setting a post 24" into the asphalt is a much stronger and better situation. However the customer is nearing the end of her cash budget and is looking to do thing for as little as possible. I told her the surface mounting option isn't as strong and would need to be cleared first. The propane company approved the surface mounted bollards. Drilling 8 holes should be faster then cutting and busting through the asphalt and then digging out so that is the option she went with.

Thanks for all the input
So you are going to depend on some sort of anchor to hold in approx. two & a half inches of asphalt?

How long will you have to warranty the installation for?

What is your plan to repair if you have to make good on warranty?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you are going to depend on some sort of anchor to hold in approx. two & a half inches of asphalt?

How long will you have to warranty the installation for?

What is your plan to repair if you have to make good on warranty?
GRIZ: Thanks for your concern on workmanship. Yes I am going to rely on a wedge bolt holding into and unknown thickness of asphalt. I have told the customer that this may not work. The anchors may not hold, the asphalt could break apart. Who really know what will happen. If we have problems then I will have to cut out a chunk of the asphalt and and pour in concrete and start over again. At that point shoulda just sunk bollards into the ground. However the customer wants what the customer wants. The customer is always right correct? They are aware that problems could occur and are aware that it will cost more to correct the situation. In that case, yes it would have been better and more cost effective to set them in concrete in the first place. But once again the customer is always right and knows best. Thats why its will all be in the contract

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
GRIZ: Thanks for your concern on workmanship. Yes I am going to rely on a wedge bolt holding into and unknown thickness of asphalt. I have told the customer that this may not work. The anchors may not hold, the asphalt could break apart. Who really know what will happen. If we have problems then I will have to cut out a chunk of the asphalt and and pour in concrete and start over again. At that point shoulda just sunk bollards into the ground. However the customer wants what the customer wants. The customer is always right correct? They are aware that problems could occur and are aware that it will cost more to correct the situation. In that case, yes it would have been better and more cost effective to set them in concrete in the first place. But once again the customer is always right and knows best. Thats why its will all be in the contract
Here's the issue. The only quote to install the bollards should have been the right way. Cut asphalt, bore hole set in concrete & finish.

When these things fall over everyone & his brother will know you put them in wrong. The customer will play dumb.

Should they take you to court the judge will likely say that you are the professional and should have known the proper way to install the bollards. The customer will bolster this by agreeing that they hired you for your expertise.

It will all fall back on your reputation.

and no, the customer is not always right nor do they get it if it is put in with substandard methods.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts