Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I wasn't sure where to put this. Ok I am adding two small led work lights in the bumper on my utility body. The bumper is 1/8" powder coated steel.

Long story short, I added some to the body, but the bumper has clipped corners. So these lights will shine out to the sides a lil for backing trailers at night. I don't want to put them under the bumper because its pretty low.

I have to drill two 2 1/8" holes. Do you guys think a high quality hole saw and cutting oil will handle this? I would even buy one hole saw for each hole.

I would hate to start drilling and have the hole saws not work:laughing:

Thanks, Dave
My Milwaukee magnetic drill would do that chore no problem.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Back in my off roading days i built new bumper brackets that were frame mounted and went through the bumper and had 1.5" eyelets for shackles/tow straps. The brackets were 4" wide and 3/4" thick. I drilled them with hole saws on a drill press. Ear muffs, eye glasses, can of oil and a large quantity of beer is what it took to get it done. Very time consuming but perfect holes when done. I only use Lenox or Blue Mole holes saws, very best IMO.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,354 Posts
I've had my bigger forstner bits sharpened and they give them a sawtooth pattern. I can't image they wouldn't do a holesaw. The smaller ones might be difficult for them, but 2" should be a pc of cake. You might have to leave the mandrel with them if it's the first ones they done, otherwise I'm sure they have the setup to do it already.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Back in my off roading days i built new bumper brackets that were frame mounted and went through the bumper and had 1.5" eyelets for shackles/tow straps. The brackets were 4" wide and 3/4" thick. I drilled them with hole saws on a drill press. Ear muffs, eye glasses, can of oil and a large quantity of beer is what it took to get it done. Very time consuming but perfect holes when done. I only use Lenox or Blue Mole holes saws, very best IMO.
Had you been using one of those Hougen cutters it would have only taken a sip of beer :laughing:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts