Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went through a drill today. It was an old cheapy. Smoked up nicely. It didn't last long enough to mix one tub :eek: I guess it's off to the store tomorrow for a new one. I hate to buy a drill just to stir mud, but I'd hate to ruin a good one more. I think I'll get it at a local store that has a lifetime warantee. :evil

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, if you have the time, try to find one at a local flea market. I paid $25.00 for my favorite 'trash drill' in '77. It's a 3/4" Milwalkee, single speed, offset geared and when you pull the trigger SOMETHING is going to move.
Watched once as some disrespectful SOB, about 175 lbs., got picked up and spun until the plug pulled. He made over a full revolution after that. LOL

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
We use one of these to core drill 4" and 6" holes in ductile iron pipe. It's one tough SOB. I'm sure it'd handle stiff mud all the do-da day.

Milwaukee drills

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mine's bigger, older and uglier and will be around when that one dies.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of looking at flea markets, but I don't really have the time. Great idea though.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, great buys at flea markets and garage sales. How about an almost new Milwalkee Sawsall, in box, with many blades for $35.00?-garage sale. Old Delta RAS, cast iron arm w/cast iron base, $25.00-warehouse sale.
Something to do while this mrs. is looking at whatever they look at.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Mine's bigger, older and uglier and will be around when that one dies.
You forgot " my drill's dad can beat up your drill's dad any day" :cheesygri
They just don't make'm like they used to :(

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pipe, get too old and they only have 2 prongs. These also have metal bodies so a rewire is pretty simple.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Everytime I have the time I walk thru the local pawn shops, gotten quite a few good deals in these places over the years and once I even located one of my old tools that had walked off a job site all on it's own some months earlier. Just an old skil 18v cordless saw & drill kit, but there is was with my mark inscribed on both tools, the charger, & the case. Talked to owner of the store, we called the cops, they took the kit as "evidence", but were never able to apprehend the suspect, he'd long since cleared out of the country. Guess what, my tools are still in the PD's evidence locker, as technically it's still an open case. :rolleyes: I would have just bought the thing back from the pawn shop, but it had already been replaced. But pawn shops do have some good deals so long as you know what you're looking at and you test before you buy.

My current mud drill is a 1/2" milwaukee, that I bought off a client one time, we were removing popcorn ceilings & reskimming for this older couple. While there my drill did a smoke out & died, which I had know was coming for some time. Anyway I'm there mentally cussing myself out for not replacing it sooner, and the old man, who was one of those that liked to watch part of the time, says I've got a drill in the garage you can use. I started to decline, I sure didn't want to tear up the man's drill, but it was a good hr's ride to the nearest store to buy one so I said ok. Ended up giving the guy a $75 credit on his bill for the 1/2" drill, a jigsaw, circle saw. Then turned around & gave him another $75 credit for a 26' extension ladder he had in the back of the garage. His wife was very happy I'd bought the tools and especially the ladder. In her words, that 78 yr old fool go no business climbing ladders anymore. :cheesygri:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey Paul, just get yourself a low torque 1/2 inch drill and you won't go wrong, preferable a spade handle version for comfort if it is going to be dedicated to mixing only. Anything over 1/2 would work of course, but is overkill and I wouldn't want it unless it had a built in clutch. I don't need a sprained or broken wrist or to get socked in the jaw for lossing concentration one time.

If you were using a normal high speed drill to mix it was only a matter of time before you killed it. I think everybody has done that.

I use one of these for a mud mixer.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
MinConst said:
Well I went through a drill today. It was an old cheapy. Smoked up nicely. It didn't last long enough to mix one tub :eek: I guess it's off to the store tomorrow for a new one. I hate to buy a drill just to stir mud, but I'd hate to ruin a good one more. I think I'll get it at a local store that has a lifetime warantee. :evil
$64.00 what's not to like?
northern tool

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
you got me there :eek: where's dewalt made? how about milwaukee?

·
love to play in the mud!
25 Posts
bought a black & decker "el cheapo" 1/2" chuck at Wally world just for mixing mud 8 yrs ago. $40 and still going.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't mix drywall mud, but I do mix Thinset which starts out extremely thick. I use an old Milwaukee 1/2 inch Hole hawg like in this picture, except mine is about 15 years old and I bought if for $50 off of a friend that was getting out of tile setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went to sears and checked the clearance department and found a thirty dollar,"good enough" drill and have been using it for 5 years to mix.also they will replace or return it within reason if your not happy with its results

1 - 20 of 20 Posts