Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I used a drill doctor at a former employer's. It worked great, but it was the top of the line model. I've seen probably a dozen models of the drill doctor in stores. They're quite easy to use. You can't really screw up.

Nowadays, I take drill bits, hole saws, auger bits, hole-hawg bits, etc to a sharpening shop. I just save all the dull stuff up for a while and take the whole batch in. In just a couple of days, I get the whole batch back. I really don't have the time to sharpen them myself anymore, and can't justify paying an employee to do it for as cheaply as a sharp shop does it.

I suppose I could put a drill doctor on each truck for busy work for when guys are waiting on the inspector to show up. :cheesygri

·
Registered
19 Posts
What kinds of bits does a drill doctor do? Can it handle a simple paddle bit? Auger Bits? Self-feed bits? Those are the three I use, and I go through them pretty quickly. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
skatchmo said:
What kinds of bits does a drill doctor do? Can it handle a simple paddle bit? Auger Bits? Self-feed bits? Those are the three I use, and I go through them pretty quickly. Thanks.
No, - - for those you would need a 'drill-surgeon'!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Others may correct me but I believe that the Drill Dr. is strictly for twist drills.

I take mine to a local machine shop where they have a guy, fulltime, that sharpens everything.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
BTW, I do mean everything. You may have to mic your router bits and dado blades but it's much cheaper than buying new. Circular saw blades are done at the end of my street, how's that for convienience?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts