Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. Does any body use these and do they work. What do you guys do with dull bits?
My metal fab guy sharpens all of his and I occasional use his wheel it's not bad but I gotta run business, build and get a 1000 other thing chipped off my list.

Thanks for the time.

·
GC/carpenter
43,600 Posts
I just use a grinder, it works great and doesn't take long at all. I've managed to get pretty good at the angle as well. This is important otherwise they full too quickly.The trick is to not let the bit get to hot. I use a lot of large twists as in 5/8 and 3/4.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I loose them before I have to sharpen them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It works good. I got tired of buying bits. When I bought the Drill Doctor I went looking for all the drill bits I own I must have collected 150 bits not counting the new ones.I sharpened everyone of them. It's nice to just pick-up a bit and drill. And when they get a little dull I put them in a container and when I have time Pull out the Drill Doctor. They even have a bit holder for reverse bits.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I would buy a drill doctor but i snap all my bits before they need sharpening.
I use my DD to sharpen broken bits all the time. As long as they are long enough to fit in the DD chuck and reach the grinding wheel, they can be saved.

Reactions: flippinfool

·
Registered
18 Posts
The latest version works fine. You have to pay attention and learn how it works. There are several different adjustments that all affect the result. I like it because when I need a really sharp drill I can sharpen one. It makes a world of difference when drilling metal.

If you want to sharpen a broken drill, rough shape the drill on a bench grinder (or belt sander or whatever) FIRST! Then finish sharpening on the Drill Doctor. The grinding wheel in the Drill Doctor is not meant for heavy metal removal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts