Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a japanese dollar store ($1.50) called DAISO JAPAN. I ran into some drill bits there.. anyone wonder about the quality? are they any good?

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
i have burnt up Hilti jobbers, bosch titanium, etc. I was talking to a locksmith friend of mine and he swears by the Japanese. He said they are dirt cheap, but as long as they are sharp they will get the job done.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Not sure about the twist drill bits but I was wandering around in HK last year with some time on my hands and found the part of town with all the local tool shops. I bought a bunch of SDS bits for 2-4$ ea. 6mm -16mm they are metric but for my purposes drilling in concrete does not need to be that precise. I dont know why they are so much cheeper in HK as all of them were made in Europe (Denmark, Germany, France) I burned a bit out the other day and thought it was one of these but it was a hilti I had had for a while.
I would say get a 20 bits in various sizes and if they are crap then you only out $30 and you can give them to some one who would not put too much stress on them.
Cheers Jim

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I'll give this a try. They're only $1.50 each... regular bits and sds type. I'll snap some before and after action photos for you all.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
For that money how can you go wrong, I have a full set of Hilti cobalts and I don't think are much better then my noname commercial black oxide brand aircraft bits. Twist drill are like sawzall blades, they are crap after 3 uses...if anyone knows a good sharpening system let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts