Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Drawer slide's and boxes for trailer

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  The Coastal Craftsman 
#1 ·
So I'm outfitting a new trailer and I need some help on the drawer slides and boxes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqLSL9NWPOkRmtueTg4QkpCUFU/edit?usp=sharing

My shelving is 24" deep.
The drawer on the very left will hold a lot of corded tools in it. It's about 30" wide so weight might be a factor.

I will preface this with saying, I've never built drawer boxes or done much with slides other than kitchen refacing jobs.

My plan is to make the largest drawer out of 3/4" BC ply leftover from making the shelves. I have 5/8" BC ply that I plan to use for the rest of the drawers. I was hoping someone could confirm that idea before I build them.

I'm planning to use a lock-rabbet joint to make the boxes with a dado in the sides for the drawer bottom to slide in. Again, never built boxes, I'm just going for heavy duty. If this works, how much space should be left between the bottom of the side and where the dado starts? 1/2", 3/4"...

I have no FF on the shelving so with my very limited knowledge of the various drawer slides I'm hoping for some wisdom on what product to use.

Would using soft touch keep them from opening? Has anybody tried that? I know BC uses the slide catches on his which I can use.

Are Blum Tandom's a waste of money for a trailer? You guys seem to like them a lot for everything else.

I have looked at their site but it is kind of hard to figure out since I really have very little experience with slides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
...Are Blum Tandom's a waste of money for a trailer? You guys seem to like them a lot for everything else...
Blum Tandems are a waste of money for a trailer. I install them 99% of the time in custom cabinets for inside the home, but wouldn't for trailer shelving. Accuride 3832 or another side-mounted slide would be great.

#4 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
Blum Tandems are a waste of money for a trailer. I install them 99% of the time in custom cabinets for inside the home, but wouldn't for trailer shelving. Accuride 3832 or another side-mounted slide would be great.
Thanks, like I said, don't have a lot of experience. I had considered them cause I though maybe they wouldn't slide open without a catch but those are probably unrealistic hopes.

Thanks for the model number on that other slide.

#5 ·
Randy Bush said:
I just made some for my trailer , Used 100# full extend slides 3/4 primed pine for sides, left over trim material, and 3/8 ply for bottoms. did not dado them just glue and staples so will see how that works out. Used storm window latches to ensure the draws stay close will moving.
I definitely plan to use 100# slides. I'm thinking I have to dado the bottom on the big one for the sake of weight. I'll build the others the same just cause I want practice with cabinetry stuff.

#6 ·
Unfortunately I have not been lucky enough to get a trailer and build it out for tools. But I saw a video somewhere where the guy pretty much just ran a dado in the sides and built the drawer boxes with the bottom wide to go into the dados. Not sure if I made any sense right there.:blink::laughing:

I think he ran the dados at a slight angle so the drawer would be slightly lower in the back to help prevent sliding out in transit. Pretty easy, not a whole lot extra money and sturdy.:thumbsup:

#7 ·
CrpntrFrk said:
Unfortunately I have not been lucky enough to get a trailer and build it out for tools. But I saw a video somewhere where the guy pretty much just ran a dado in the sides and built the drawer boxes with the bottom wide to go into the dados. Not sure if I made any sense right there.:blink::laughing: I think he ran the dados at a slight angle so the drawer would be slightly lower in the back to help prevent sliding out in transit. Pretty easy, not a whole lot extra money and sturdy.:thumbsup:
Makes perfect sense. It just could be a little more annoying to use than a standard slide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.