Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are interested in a house and when we went to the basement the thing flooded from a super storm a couple weeks back. The walls were in surprisingly good shape, and we cant tell where the water came from.

Husband had a contractor he knows come out and he told him that all drain tiles are broken and need replaced, and the drains need tied into the sewer, as well as a second sump pump. MY concern is because the contractor knows this is a 203k loan, he is milking the job. Plus i just get a bad feeling about the guy. Im not convinced thats where the water is coming from, and this is why

Sump pump is probably not operational at this point

previous owner put a patio paver and sloped it towards the house

The particular street has had basement flooding issues since new sewers lines were installed a few years back, city said faulty cross connectors were to blame. A neighbors faulty cross connector could lead to too much storm water pushed into sanitary line, causing flooding

The window wells are filled to the top with gravel

The basement had more water near the back, towards where the sump pump is located, and near an area of the house where there is a broken clay pipe that was connected to the gutter on the garage

The house has a room in the basement, that is elevated about 6 inches off of the basement floor, that once held what we think was a cistern. This room is just rocks.

between the house and the neighbors house there is a dip, and a french drain should probably be installed.

The house is a ranch and has no water damage in the living areas, besides some water in a sun room near that bad patio job, that has Since dried up.

Could the roof be to blame? The roof has obviously had some leaking issues, as well as some windows. and will need immediate replacement.

The house has a fireplace in the basement, connected to the chimney upstairs.

The exterior of the houses foundation shows no cracks or visible damage.

I do not want to do a full excavation and replacement of drain tiles if we dont need to, So my question is could any of the above reasons be to blame? Would interior drain tiles be a remedy? I can see no signs of any interior waterproofing ever being done either.

The house has a street sign in front of it, stating is the highest point of the entire county. Also, the basement has a finished room with wood paneling, and you can see the water line from whenever it flooded. If the flooding was a reoccuring problem prior to the house being vacant...wouldnt you see more than one water line?

Whatever it is, can a contractor just LOOK at a problem and automatically know if needs such a major repair? Is he that good? Oh, and the house was built in 1980

thanks for your help!

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Your trade is renovation, so I assume you're a professional contractor.

When you looking at the problem, do you automatically know if its a major repair or all it needs is a band-aid?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Anything you listed could be a contributing factor. If you don't like the first contractor's opinion then ask another one, you should be getting multiple opinions and bids anyways.

Yes, a good contractor can LOOK at something and decide what it needs. How else could you expect to get any sort of estimate? Don't forget that a contractor "just looking" is also drawing on his career experience.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sounds like a disaster scenario wouldn't want to buy into that headache. Any previous owner who allows a contractor to build a patio sloping into the basement, imagine what else they let past them that is faulty as well.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Highest point AND wet?????????????
Clay tile on a 1980 house, really?

How could a sanitary sewer be legally cross connected to a storm drain on this new of work---call the city and the EPA they'll fix it. how did the turds run up the highest spot in the county???? Paydays on Friday and poop runs DOWN hill. The Boss is an @#$hole....

Get honest Drain guy with a pipe camera system to find out what's what.
be there to watch the LIVE video.

No one wants to sleep on the wet spot...or live there.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Trying not to offend but that's a ton of information that you asked advice on, I would have to see it in person to know what needed done and would call in another expert if I wasn't sure.

Not a big fan of the Homeowner/Non-Contractor signing up for this forum and lying about their occupation to get questions answered, sorry. Go to DIY forums.:thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,223 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.