Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question for you foundation guys . If I am doing exterior drain tile , do I need interior drain tile as well .thanks in advance

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Where's your soils report?

What's the earth? Sand, clay?

Where's the water table?

Let me put it this way, we don't normally see it on plans...but it's cheap insurance

·
Registered
132 Posts
We install it on every project, needed or not, belt and suspenders approach. the cost of a couple hundred feet of tile, sure beats fixing a wet basement.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I had a builder friend that automatically put in both interior and exterior drain tile as a standard on the 1000's of houses built. He would not allow a deduct for only one set. Since it was standardized and installed with all new construction, the cost was not that much and he never paid a lawyer to defend him on a problem. Since it was standardized, he did it right with plastic weep hoses to drain the block cores into the rock around the interior drain, since he discovered that no barrier on the exterior of a wall is 100% perfect.

He even had the flexible plastic pipe pre-cut to length and carried in all foundation vehicles.

He built in several different elements (soils, terrain, etc.) with the same crews, so a standard was the inly way to go. - The interior tile prevents the excessiv upward pressure on the basement slab that contributes to cracking and slab leakage.

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
It cant hurt, all you need is perforated pipe along the perimeter tied into a sump.... you have to put stone bellow the slab in any case, and the cost of the pipe is peanuts.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Standard here.

I'm not sure what people are doing now with the radon mitigation systems. I put in one as a prophylactically which consisted of a length of 4" slotted pvc snaked across the basement floor and coming out through the floor at a tee. This tee could be connected to later and run up to the attic, or through the attic to the atmosphere. It would also be possble to put a fan on it.

Where I'm going here is that for drainage and radon, maybe we'll end up just running 3 or 4" slotted drain tile every 4' oc below the slab and have everything end at the sump pit or at the sump pit and some evacuation point.

Once company here is putting in prophylactic radon mitigation systems standard, but I don't know if they are relying on just the perimeter tile or what. There was talk of a state law to call for radon mitigation systems to be standard which would be a bit strange because I'm not sure if there is any code for the interior/exterior drainage tile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts