Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some advice on a matter. I just got to the tiling portion of my bathroom remodel and full shower build. I have already taken all the necessary steps with a pre pitch, pan liner and mortar bed to follow. As I finished the last mortar bed I noticed my drain (top portion) had some wiggling room with it. The mortar was packed real nice and tight. This worried me so I took the upper portion of the drain off. Their is evidence that the mortar is packed up real good and thick in their but I am a little nervous as to the integrity of the drain. Is it supposed to be able to be removed like this? Should I use a cement patching compound and put it back in to settle? use a bead of plumbers putty around the drain while putting it in? or some thin set? Can the drain be removed just in case of replacement and I just need to pop a bead of silicone around to secure it? Any thoughts are helpful...? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick response!

So the order of things... is subfloor, followed by tar paper and wire mesh with a pre pitched mortar bed. Then I used an Oatey shower pan liner (40 mil thick) did a flood test, everything was good for a day. After this I secured a drain (Webang square shower drain) the initial part, cutting through the pan liner to poke the bolts through and attach that upper plate with a bead of silicone. when the drain was secured I threw some gravel around the weep holes to protect and built up my mortar bed around the 6x6 square drain. I packed the bed tight but that upper square drain part (that you can drop down into the threaded piece that lowers and raises your drain height just didn't really secure into the mortar bed, I was able to pull it out and that is the pic you see. I know its just the upper portion of the drain, but I'd like to take every precaution necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is the original pre slope with lower portion of drain and when the liner was installed during flood test, and my mortar bed is on top of all that

·
GC/carpenter
43,626 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Homeowner and/or Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.