Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My folks have their air handler in the attic and I had to replace part of the drain line because someone stepped on it and cracked it. I noticed that the drain line sweats. Is this common? The house is in FL. In my house the air handler is in the garage with the drain line going under the concrete. So obviously I have no idea if my line sweats.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I get that. I can imagine the condensation forming on metal pipe, but, not plastic. It makes a good insulator. Would the schedule 40 pipe make a difference? Not doubting, just, I would not think that there would be enough heat transfer through the plastic, to cause condensation.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Here in humid Washington, DC, I've seen pvc bead and sweat in attics. Cold pvc drain line + humidity = condensation & dripping...and the P-trap is sometimes just outside the pan, so it drips on the floor. I tried to explain that to one client, and to insulate it, but their expert hvac guy kept coming to drain the line that wasn't clogged. Go figure.:whistling

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I get that. I can imagine the condensation forming on metal pipe, but, not plastic. It makes a good insulator. Would the schedule 40 pipe make a difference? Not doubting, just, I would not think that there would be enough heat transfer through the plastic, to cause condensation.
In a hot humid area like many areas in Florida are. The A/C takes out a lot more moisture. So the PVC trap gets a lot colder then in most areas.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Here in humid Washington, DC, I've seen pvc bead and sweat in attics. Cold pvc drain line + humidity = condensation & dripping...and the P-trap is sometimes just outside the pan, so it drips on the floor. I tried to explain that to one client, and to insulate it, but their expert hvac guy kept coming to drain the line that wasn't clogged. Go figure.:whistling
With that situation, why not put the trap outside at the termination point?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts