Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've downsized before when I decided to retire, then wound up buying tools and going active again. Twice.

I stopped doing full house remodels a while back, so that eventually prompted getting rid of some equipment eventually. 10" job saw, 12" shop saw, and some other stuff.

My most recent remodel I wound up with tools from most trades inside, and then cursed that when I had to pack it all back out. It did give me a chance to review what I had, because everything wound up back and stored, which hadn't happened in years. I normally have overlapping projects.

Just the paint tools and supplies take up a lot of room. I have 2 18" frames with pan, liners, roller covers that I almost never use now - too much of the old house painting is on walls that aren't flat enough for an 18" roller. All that's going.

I used to use a 12" pan with a 13.5" cover I cut down from an 18" cover with a 9" frame, but that's just an expensive way to go. Cutting it down and tapering it takes some time too. There also is not a wide selection of 18" roller covers around here, so while production was great, there were some annoying problems.

I finally settled on rolling with a screen in a 5 gallon pail and 9" roller, like many.

Time to get rid of a bunch more stuff.

·
Super Moderator
24,405 Posts
Its hard to get rid of tools and equipment.

Part of being retired im not quite used to yet...

·
Registered
Remodel
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, I have to keep reorganizing things as I add more. This last time, I decided tools and supplies were too much in the way, so I was losing time.

I had a 9" RAS that was luggable and excellent for trim work, etc. Took it straight to the dump off the job site. Some of the old ones you could turn the head so you could slide sheet goids across the front and cut them like a panel saw, but this was a safer one, so off it went.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its hard to get rid of tools and equipment.

Part of being retired im not quite used to yet...
I've always been cutthroat about equipment. Something annoys me, and it's off to the dump. I think the only thing I've sold in years was a panel lift for $50. Young guy and his wife bought it to sheet rock the house. They were happy as he'll, and the whole time I was thinking "Oh, you poor soul.".

They obviously didn't know what they were getting into.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have some favorite tools, plus some quirks.

The 12" shop saw had a 54" Biesemeier fence. I liked the fence, so I kept it, just no table saws. LOL

·
Registered
Remodel
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Packing up and loading out took parts of 2 days with a helper this last time. When I have tools and supplies for so many trades in one place, it gets crowded. Doing full house remodels, it wasn't as big an issue. Also, if I don't get out of sequence like this last time, it isn't as big an issue.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm conflicted in my retirement dreams. Sometimes I want to fill my shop with the kind of tools I'd have to get from Darcy, then spend my twilight years tinkering and woodworking. Other times I'm ready to liquidate everything, buy a school bus outfitted to live in, and never look back.

·
Super Moderator
24,405 Posts
School bus not for us....but...

Seeing thousands od dollars worth of construction equupment just sitting can make you feel guilty at times for not using it.

I am building a shop/garage. I have to have some tools, but where do you stop.

I want a place to tinker with stuff and be able to set up my fly tying stuff and get the reloading bench up and running.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm after light weight, easy storage and preferably multiple uses. There's no perfect solution. I do know I have more angle grinders than an octopus can use. Same with 9" roller frames.

·
Super Moderator
27,095 Posts
If I've learned anything from seeing my dad grow older, my builder grandfather retire and come out of retirement, my father in law retire, go back to work, retire, go back to work, retire, and jump at anything I call about from supervising a project to trenching or hotshotting etc... and several clients retire its no seems to really know what they will want when they retire

My dad seemed to be ready to quit and never look back 10 years ago and now he works more hours than anyone in the company and says he doesn't plan to "retire" until he can't think clearly. He doesn't do any tasks he doesn't like, and might be managing his last home build for all I know. He writes the contracts, hauls dumpsters, maintains equipment and the shop/office, deals with our rentals etc... , helps my brothers son and my daughters with their school work after their morning online school in a little school house etc... and often will build something in the shop for a project. He doesn't draw anymore and doesn't like dealing with clients so he doesn't.

My father in law dreamed of retiring and retired as a maintenance director and after 6 months of it at 50 years old he had rebuilt all his fences, cleared two pastures, repaired all equipment and got down in the dumps. Then he took a job as a 3 day a week maintenance man. Then retired after a few years, 6 months later was an inspector for State veterans homes. Now he's retired fully at 67 and I have to buy chit for him to fix or rebuild or he will get bored and start getting on everyone's nerves lol. He doesn't play golf and other than fishing and hunting has no hobbies other than work.

Point being I wouldn't get rid of anything you MIGHT use in the future. My granddad used his tools more in his seventies than in his 60s until the dementia overtook him. I don't think any of the above saw any of that in their "old age"

I think men who've used their hands their whole lives have a sense of purpose thst often can't be fulfilled any other way

·
Registered
Remodel
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already know not working drives me nuts, so I don't have any thoughts of actually retiring.

I do spend more time on improving productivity, simply because I can't just power through a project the way I used to. Still, twice in the past 3 months I worked more than 30 hours straight. I can do it, but it's way smarter to not have to.

The upside to getting rid of tools is if I need one of something later, new will probably be better than what I dumped. Tools get improved all the time, and I'm not all cordless yet.

I won't get rid of my chainsaws, even though I've had them 20 years or so. I use them too much, and I'm too familiar with them.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Might use" gets you a collection. I have a smaller benchtoo drill press mounted in a ply base with the table removed. I use this to get holes in old floors to a standard size, then Chuck a plug cutter bit in and cut a matching plug. It works perfect, but I bet I haven't used it in 10 years.

I have a 3HP treadmill motor and digital controller I'll try to adapt to it. If that works, it makes it way more versatile.

I already modified the head so it can be put on upside down under the table, so it could be used for the flooring plugs, conventional drill press, milling machine, router,...

The less often I use something, the more likely it is to head out the door. I want my tools to work hard for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts