Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife are moving soon cause we just bought a house. Good news it's much nicer and bigger than our current home and in a much better neighborhood and school district. Drawback is that our current 22x22 garage has been mine for the taking since it was detached and we didn't want to park our cars in it. Our new house has a nice 26' deep 25' wide attached two car garage. We can finally park my wife's car in the garage but that only leaves me with about 13' x 25' to work with and since it is a nice attached garage.

Also I would like to park my van inside the garage maybe not all the time but definitely in the winter months (so sick of having to unload anything that will freeze an carrying it in the house)

So somehow I need to store all my tools and stuff in the perimeter on shelving and maybe have a workbench with some of my larger tools on rollers so I can back my van out and have a work area.

Any ideas for shelving or storage?

·
Always Learning
8,790 Posts
You can easily put shelving along the length of one wall and store a ton and still pull your van in. Just make some simple 14-16" deep shelves and load them up. You make them too deep and you'll bury stuff in the back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
Can you blow out the garage a bit?
I'm limited on space and it's all brick. The cost to expand the garage would be pretty pricey. I still have to gut two bathrooms and a kitchen haha. So yeah as much as it sucks I am bound to my half the garage and a 6x10 shed out back.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Stevarino said:
Me and my wife are moving soon cause we just bought a house. Good news it's much nicer and bigger than our current home and in a much better neighborhood and school district. Drawback is that our current 22x22 garage has been mine for the taking since it was detached and we didn't want to park our cars in it. Our new house has a nice 26' deep 25' wide attached two car garage. We can finally park my wife's car in the garage but that only leaves me with about 13' x 25' to work with and since it is a nice attached garage. Also I would like to park my van inside the garage maybe not all the time but definitely in the winter months (so sick of having to unload anything that will freeze an carrying it in the house) So somehow I need to store all my tools and stuff in the perimeter on shelving and maybe have a workbench with some of my larger tools on rollers so I can back my van out and have a work area. Any ideas for shelving or storage?
First off go throw what you have weed out the things you don't use . Sell that stuff . Don't have say 4 saws and such . Don't store so much material . If your a one man show you be surprised how much stuff you don't need . But ha we love tools .

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
There was an article about garage workshops that stored away so cars could be parked. I will try to remember where it was, many great ideas with most things on wheels.
Keep looking.

It was in Fine Woodworking magazine, also look in "The Workshop Book" by Scott Landis

·
Registered
155 Posts
What Shelby said is spot on. I do some work in a space that is part storage and part work area. My SO is very tolerant of this kind of thing, but the dust has been pointed out. More than once. If you are going to do it, try to do most of the cutting/sanding outside if at all possible and try to get some sort of dust collection, even if it is just a shop vac attached to your saw/sander/etc. .

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
First off go throw what you have weed out the things you don't use . Sell that stuff . Don't have say 4 saws and such . Don't store so much material . If your a one man show you be surprised how much stuff you don't need . But ha we love tools .
For sure. I'm a former tool junky. Between thefts and my crew I don't have much left. I used to replace stuff until I got fed up and said fk it ... I found out that you really don't need that much to get a lot done.

I can fit every tool I own in the bed of my pickup with room to spare now :laughing:

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
One rolling box with hand tools
One rolling box with power hand tools (recip, circ, jig, mouse sanders, drills, and 200' of extension)
A small electrical / plumbing kit
Small Box with drywall / painting gear
Compressor, framer, 15g finish, 18g brad, roofing nailer, 100' hose
Small shop vac

Ladders on rack - that's my only cheat - 4 steps and a 24' extension.

I gave my miter saw to a friend since I hardly use it and don' t want to transport on my move, but add a miter saw, and table saw and I can STILL fit it in the bed of the truck with a little room to spare.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Pulling vehicles into a warme garage just let's the salt work better.

Sell your wife on that idea and the garage is yours!!

Bring home auto brochures, tell her you will be replacing the fleet every two years because it's unsafe to have any rust on them !!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FRAME2FINISH said:
Pulling vehicles into a warme garage just let's the salt work better. Sell your wife on that idea and the garage is yours!! Bring home auto brochures, tell her you will be replacing the fleet every two years because it's unsafe to have any rust on them !!
Haha there's an idea

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
smalpierre said:
One rolling box with hand tools One rolling box with power hand tools (recip, circ, jig, mouse sanders, drills, and 200' of extension) A small electrical / plumbing kit Small Box with drywall / painting gear Compressor, framer, 15g finish, 18g brad, roofing nailer, 100' hose Small shop vac Ladders on rack - that's my only cheat - 4 steps and a 24' extension. I gave my miter saw to a friend since I hardly use it and don' t want to transport on my move, but add a miter saw, and table saw and I can STILL fit it in the bed of the truck with a little room to spare.
Most of my tools are stored on my van. Mainly just larger tools I leave in the garage. Air compressor, two wet saws, table saw, misc backup tools. Also materials. Trim, tile, mortar, leftover supplies etc.

I'm really looking for storage ideas. What kinds of shelving do you use? How do you store your bulky tools in your shop. How do you store extra materials?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Getting stuff off the floor is the key. I use generic metal utility shelving, and because there isn't enough floor room for everything everything gets stored as high as possible. I pretty much clean and jerk my small compressors and a couple other small but heavy tools up to the top of the shelves, at about 6'. You can hang a portable table saw on the wall (as high as possible).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Stevarino said:
Me and my wife are moving soon cause we just bought a house. Good news it's much nicer and bigger than our current home and in a much better neighborhood and school district. Drawback is that our current 22x22 garage has been mine for the taking since it was detached and we didn't want to park our cars in it. Our new house has a nice 26' deep 25' wide attached two car garage. We can finally park my wife's car in the garage but that only leaves me with about 13' x 25' to work with and since it is a nice attached garage. Also I would like to park my van inside the garage maybe not all the time but definitely in the winter months (so sick of having to unload anything that will freeze an carrying it in the house) So somehow I need to store all my tools and stuff in the perimeter on shelving and maybe have a workbench with some of my larger tools on rollers so I can back my van out and have a work area. Any ideas for shelving or storage?
I say get rid of the wife!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Stevarino said:
I couldn't help myself. I have a detached 13x25 shop and it has worked for storage only. I couldn't work in it and have storage. Now I rent a place for storage and the garage is a workable shop. If you look on YouTube there are a ton of guys with great ideas. And if you want to see an amazing truck setup check out Ron Paulks Mobile Woodshop. This guy has the best setup ever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts