Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys had this issue before? This is the 3rd can this week to do this. I put my Hilti gun onto the can. Use it for a bit then remove the gun and the foam just keeps coming out the can! Getting pissed off that I have to keep returning them. What's strange is the last 3 I bought I bought from HD and they all done this yet the last 30+ I bought from northwest hardware worked perfectly!

Torch Food Fictional character Games

·
Registered
541 Posts
I didn't think you were supposed to remove the cans before they were empty. I have a few guns so I can keep different kinds of foam on each of them.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't leave mine on the gun in case they don't get used for a few weeks but never had issues removing them in the past. I keep 4-5 different types of foam on the trailer so I have no choice than to remove them either as I ain't got 5 guns. I do keep a couple of cans of cleaner so I can keep the gun cleaned out and the valves washed out though.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Don't take the can off unless it's empty. I've left cans on for over 6 months with no I'll effect. Need different foams buy more guns. And always lube the connection and threads.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instructions don't say anything about not being able to remove the gun gun half way through. They do say you can leave the gun on if you want but to clean it well if you remove the can.

I'm gonna call them as I'm gonna have to stop using the gun if that's the case as I ain't having 5 guns sitting on cans that I don't use silly often.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Instructions don't say anything about not being able to remove the gun gun half way through. They do say you can leave the gun on if you want but to clean it well if you remove the can.

I'm gonna call them as I'm gonna have to stop using the gun if that's the case as I ain't having 5 guns sitting on cans that I don't use silly often.
You read instructions?

I don't when it comes to a fvckin gun I screw a can onto to dispense foam. And even if the instructions do say you can... either the foam dries the can shut or they Piss out all over the place.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inner10 said:
You read instructions?

I don't when it comes to a fvckin gun I screw a can onto to dispense foam. And even if the instructions do say you can... either the foam dries the can shut or they Piss out all over the place.
Yeah I'm an instruction kind of guy. i like to make sure I'm doing it right lol. Never had an issue with them drying the can shut or pissing out. My last window and door lasted about 9 months and I bought it when it was already past its use by date and its prob been swapped on and if the gun 20x without any issues. It might have latest through this week if I had remembered to spray the top clean before I put it up. That was user error though.

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
Never had that issue and all the cans I buy are always from the HD by me. To the people saying you can't take the can off, you are wrong. Watch the video about the gun and foam. There are no problems. Unless you get crappy cans like the OP is getting lol. I use the cleaning spray to spray the top of the can after I take it off so it's not foamed shut against future use.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes i guess the seal doesn't make good contact and out goes all the contents. I simply charge by the case when I need them to customers, so if I can't leave it on my guns for some reason, no harm done if I lose one

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I've been using foam guns for 25 yrs. My best advice is to leave the can on the gun. Why in the world would you take it off. You're just asking for trouble.
I have had the same can on my current gun for about a year now. That gun is about 5-6 yrs old. In human yrs that's like 100.

When changing cans, Ill run cleaner through and then put new can of foam on and then dispense till a good flow is coming out, then close valve and store.

And it does not pay to buy cheap guns. unless you plan on using it once and throwing it away. Invest $100 on a good one and take care of it.

And they are like chainsaws.......Don't loan it out unless you want to get it back broken.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
I never run cleaner through the Hilti even when changing out the can,just keep the can on,the cleaner only works on uncured foam which is never the problem with a stuck gun

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I had a can on my gun for at least 8 months. No problem using it. Had to shake the hell out of it and clean the tip though. And its the cheaper original Pro13 gun from great stuff.

I also have had cans behave like BCC's with some discharge and then dont work. It can be frustrating. Last week it happened on a new can and I was able to disconnect it and clear the nozzle, clear out the gun and use it no problem.

Like Big Shoe....I would just leave it on the gun and limit the hassle.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Great Stuff isn't so great, Use the Hilti foam, I find it's a much better product, along with Nudura spray foam, both quality products at a cheaper price too.

If you purchase 3 cases of Hilti foam...the guns free

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I understand that, but you will also find more uses for spray foam if you have it...i.e. SubFloor glue. It's not just for doors and windows
Yeah, you can fill he gap between the toilet and the wall with it. :laughing:

·
Registered
506 Posts
But seriously, I have been wanting to get a gun. This is some useful information. So does the cleaner work at all on dried foam? How do you keep the nozzle clean between uses without removing the can?
Acetone cleans/melts the dried/cured foam. If you leave the can on and close the gun the nozzle is fine, no air going in means the foam won't cure in there.

I had two clogged guns that had been sitting for a year, I broke them down and threw them in acetone for a while. Came back and blew them out with my compressor and good as new with maybe 10 minutes total of work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts