Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
That guy
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Hope you don't mind a non-HVAC guy posting a question in here. We recently purchased and installed a powder coating oven in our shop and we need to have the gas hooked up to the burner assembly and an exhaust duct hooked up to the exhaust fan. The company doing the work for us wants a drawing of the adapter they will need to make for the exhaust fan. I don't know why they don't have one of their guys who actually works with this stuff draw it up, but the owner of the company asked me to make it for them.

Attached is a photo of the fan outlet. It's a rectangle opening measuring 11 9/16" x 8 3/8", with 1 1/4" lip/flange. We need an 8" double-wall exhaust duct here (per the oven manufacturer's specifications). Would you expect this image to be sufficient for them? I don't want to draw it some specific way that makes it far more difficult for them to make it than it needed to be.

Otherwise how is this generally done? Fabricate a tapered adapter that matches up perfectly with the fan flange and the standard 8" double-wall pipe? Or just build a box that mounts to this flange (with one side of the box the same size as the flange) and just attach the double-wall duct to it through a hole in the side? I have searched all over the known google and I haven't found any examples of this sort of arrangement, though that's mostly because there are so many results from these kinds of terms.

Thanks!!

- Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think that is good enough

yes they should have sent someone to site but i would be able to use this to make it esecially the measurments on the photo

·
Dr Heat
516 Posts
If they do not know what to make I doubt very much they will know how to make it. You will need to have a few more numbers than just the fan dimensions. You will need to know the CFM nd the SP. parameters. The duct size will be determined by the length and number of turns offsets ets.

Most powder coat ovens we have worked on require a much larger duct than the fan discharge. We Generally make an arrangement to recover the heat and ether use it to pre-heat the oven air or to heat the factory.

Because these are direct fire units you cannot just vent the affluent into the shop.

·
Dr Heat
516 Posts
Just reread the op :whistling If all you need is an 8 inch than it is probably as simple as making a square to round. I'll pay better attention next time before flexing my ego.:blush:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts