Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, had the idea the other day.

Menards current 11% off sale now includes gift cards.

Buy a gift card, get 11% off. Turn right around and use the gift card to buy items, get another 11% off.

Example: buy $100 gift card, get $11 back. Use $100 gift card to buy $100 in product get another $11 back. So, you end up paying $78 for $100.

Tried it tonight, it works!

·
Registered
583 Posts
A friend and I were talking about it the other day if we could go buy a bunch of stuff get the rebate and then return the stuff. Really unethical but would it work?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A friend and I were talking about it the other day if we could go buy a bunch of stuff get the rebate and then return the stuff. Really unethical but would it work?
The rebate slip says they void the rebate if you do a return.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would say it's possible. The rebates take 6-8 weeks, I've returned items much later. I'd they are older than 90 days I think you get store credit, which isn't all that bad. I do a lot of rebates and haven't seen a direct issue of this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awful lot of work, tracking and waiting involved for $11... :whistling
Don't need to track anything, just mail the receipt.

When I built my shop, I got over $1400 of material free from the 11% rebate. + contractors get 2% rebate at the end of the year for all purchases that year.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
It's all just marketing. Does anybody think that Menards is losing money on this? I get 3% cash back by using a credit card on all home improvement purchases anywhere. Menards has a great gig going with their "rebates". It means that you have to return to the store and buy more stuff. Kohls has a similar gimmick.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's all just marketing. Does anybody think that Menards is losing money on this? I get 3% cash back by using a credit card on all home improvement purchases anywhere. Menards has a great gig going with their "rebates". It means that you have to return to the store and buy more stuff. Kohls has a similar gimmick.
It is a bit gimmicky. As I do a majority of my shopping there it works out. They do offer rebates for things all the time, some making great deals, some on items you don't necessarily need. It's all about timing, like now, purchasing gc's now and saving them for an item on sale later makes sense. A Floor can be on sale in 2 weeks for 20+% off, using the cards then are a big bonus. As some of you know, there is a "top secret" rebate TNT shared with me, it's for items purchased 2 weeks prior to the sale. That's a month of 11% off. If you really are paying attention, purchasing items from there weekly fliers at typically good sales when you know an 11% is coming you can do really well. Just before this sale started a floor I needed was over 30% off, picked it up early, send in the early rebate and I made another 40% percent on my material, on top of my mark up. As another poster mentioned, all the while getting 2% yearly or more, depending on products /brands.

·
Registered
Custom
13,230 Posts
Don't need to track anything, just mail the receipt.

When I built my shop, I got over $1400 of material free from the 11% rebate. + contractors get 2% rebate at the end of the year for all purchases that year.
Was just referring to your original post savings... whole shop worth of material different story... are you planning on buying a bunch of those cards and pre-paying for the material for the next few months? Inventory makes sense then... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I may have ordered a Shrock kitchen, and then ended up cancelling the order.. I noticed the 5% rebate is still in my annual rebate.

I need to let them know:no::laughing:

·
Registered
Custom
13,230 Posts
Why have I never thought of the gift card? Is $100 as big as they go? My last order was over $40,000. That's a lot of gift cards.
At $40K, you should be getting the discount without having to worry about the card...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Menards are pretty new around here, I think there are only a dozen in the entire state. I was in one for the first time a few weeks ago, the place is giant!! Much larger than a Home Depot.

But to me, it looks like it's full of a bunch of cheap crap. I rarely go into any box stores though.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Awful lot of work, tracking and waiting involved for $11... :whistling
some folks will go to all sorts of lengths to 'save big money'.

I knew a guy that would always buy menards specials at the end of the year. From the material I saw him have, they looked like culls/returns, but that's just my opinion........but they were inexpensive.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts