Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, having trouble finding something for this. My porch is framed with a double 2x carrying the front. I'm just replacing one footing and the framing between. I'm looking for a post anchor that will sit on my new concrete footing and accept a double 2x without using a 4x4 post to connect, or a useless $300 piece of PT ply sandwiched between.

Feel me?

Just shim the stupid thing out and be done with it? I'm a big fan of "proper" and would like it to not look hacked.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
4,905 Posts
I've never seen one.

Built up posts are kind of frowned on, especially for exterior use. Too much chance of water intrusion, and they tend to delaminate under load.

If you are just looking for a temporary solution, you might look at the CPTZ post base.

It's a concealed post base, so you could put one 2x on one side, and the other 2x on the other, and then nail them together above the base.

Attachments

·
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the best I've come up with other than just shimming out the other side so the bracket fits tight.
Like I said, I'm retrofitting some new framing into some hacked ass old stuff made from true 2x's.

Here's the pile of go fck yourself that I'm replacing. The column was held up by 3 sideways bricks. In fairness to the mason of yesteryear who built the pier during the Lincoln administration, this clusterfark was entirely due to the gigantic ass spruce tree that somebody planted - I chit you not - literally 2 feet away from the corner of the porch. Probably looked real cute when they put it in.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
remember when you said this porch was going to take 3 weeks and I laughed
no job on our own house ever goes quickly

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've only used the 6x6 size which are 5". I'm sure the 4x4 size is close to 3". Nice clean finished look.

Simpson Strong-Tie CPS4 4 x 4 Composite Plastic Standoff Base

Attachments

·
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
remember when you said this porch was going to take 3 weeks and I laughed
no job on our own house ever goes quickly
Always painfully aware of that. This one is well in hand though. I just started yesterday. Pics from a couple weeks back were just idea sourcing while I waited for the roofers to do their things. Their thing is done. I'm on the clock. If Election Day passes with that column still on horses, then feel free to begin the I told you so's. hah

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,128 Posts
That's the best I've come up with other than just shimming out the other side so the bracket fits tight.
Like I said, I'm retrofitting some new framing into some hacked ass old stuff made from true 2x's.

Here's the pile of go fck yourself that I'm replacing. The column was held up by 3 sideways bricks. In fairness to the mason of yesteryear who built the pier during the Lincoln administration, this clusterfark was entirely due to the gigantic ass spruce tree that somebody planted - I chit you not - literally 2 feet away from the corner of the porch. Probably looked real cute when they put it in.

Get tipi to help you out on that think that is right up his alley. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts